Chapter 15 - Get To Know Me Better

It's so very easy to lose track of time in a hospital. Her cell phone dead and her watch at home, Sydney had no idea what time it was when Arlen took her hand and led her into his sister's room.

"Arlen, your sister hates me. I'm here for you and Jess." Sydney was less than thrilled with the situation.

"Honey, I know you two have a past," Arlen began.

"Again, she hates me. She thinks I..."

Arlen sighed over her, knowing the situation he was going to put her in after a few more steps. "Jess refuses to go in again, David got called into surgery..."

"Like someone's burst appendix couldn't have waited," she grumbled.

"I can't deal with her alone anymore, Syd." He wasn't too proud to beg right now. "Please?"

She could never tell him no when he needed her. "Okay."

They were three steps into the room before a hoarse voice croaked, "What the fuck is she doing here?"

"Just stop, Rachel," Arlen commanded, all of his usual niceties absent from his voice.

Rachel was five years older than Arlen. She was pregnant with Jess while she was in high school, having him just before graduation. Arlen's parents passed away in a car accident a year later and Rachel was to be Arlen's guardian, but Sydney wouldn't hear of it. She bounced from boyfriend to boyfriend with Jess and Sydney's parents took Arlen in almost immediately. They lived together throughout high school and that's when Rachel's resentment started. It didn't get any better once Jess hit elementary school. He always had so much fun with Uncle Arlen and "Aunt" Sydney. They shared an apartment during college that became a more stable home for Jess than his own. Sydney was a natural with children, making her career choice a perfect match, and had formed a strong bond with Jess through the years - that's what made Rachel hate her most.

"Coming to take this one straight from the womb?" Sydney closed her eyes and tried to let the comment pass without retaliation.

"Rachel, you need to get the fuck over yourself," Arlen growled. "All she has ever done is put others before herself, helping you in the process!"

Rachel laughed, the sound cold and cruel. "That's because she doesn't have anyone of her own! She took you away from me, then my son, and now I can guarantee she's after...after..."

Sydney erupted, unable to contain herself any longer. "You haven't even named her, you psychopath!" She covered her mouth, regretting her word choice.

"Least I can get someone to knock me up."

Arlen looked at Sydney. "It's the detox talking."

"The fuck it is, Arlen," Rachel laughed. "I'm fucking clearheaded and your bestie over there takes from me because she keeps failing at her own life."

Angry tears spilled from Arlen's eyes. "Jesus Christ, Rachel! You almost killed your daughter with heroine!"

"She almost married a fag, scared a guy off after a few months, and hasn't been able to land a 'real job' in over ten years of trying!"

"Fag?" Sydney and Arlen's voices were in unison.

"Oh don't take the offense, you make them that way, after all. You must be a shitty ass lay – first my brother, then his doctor boyfriend..."

Sydney's eyes began to water despite herself. She hated letting Rachel get to her, but there was a painful truth to her cruel words. "Stop," she whispered.

"And your latest guy ran away from you."

"Rachel, enough!" Arlen screamed. "I don't know if it's the presence of hospital medication or the lack of street drugs making you insane right now, but you need to stop. We are here to help you."