Chapter 42 - So, you're sleeping with my dad?

Nathan waited as long as he could, but a trip to the restroom was inevitable. Susan sat on the couch, studying Sydney. Sydney didn't know why she had been so nervous...until Susan spoke.

"So, you're sleeping with my dad." It was somewhere between a question and a statement. Sydney's stomach turned and her face went crimson.

"I...we...yes?"

The teenager smiled. "I didn't mean to just blurt it out like that, but," she laughed, "it was just kinda there in front of..."

"Susan, I'm so sorry that you found out that way," Sydney interrupted, not able to look the young woman in the eye. Her next words flew out of her mouth. "Nobody knows, well, almost nobody and it's not like we actually told him, but with school and the mentoring we just thought it was best to keep it quiet and my best friend in the entire world, and I mean ever, I've known him since I was a toddler, I haven't even told him and..."

"Hey, teach, run on sentence." She was still laughing. "I get it and it's fine. Smart, really." Her voice calmed, though it was obvious she was still fighting against some laughter. "I've been after him to ask you out for a while."

Sydney's blush deepened, but she did look Nathan's daughter in the eye. "He told me. Um, I guess that means you're okay with this?"

Susan's voice turned serious. "I haven't seen him happy or take care of himself in a long time, and..." She wanted to say more, but Nathan returned and she stopped.

"So, ladies, what would we like to do?" he asked, unsure.

"You've dated, right?" Susan asked, unable to quash her curiosity. "I mean, it's not just you two sneaking around having sex like teenagers?"

Nathan sighed. "Why can't you be one of those kids who is completely grossed out by all of this and wants to pretend it's not happening?"

"I've never been a conventional child, have I?"

He laughed. "Not at all."

"So, is this a 'don't tell Charlie' secret?"

Nathan looked at Sydney and she shrugged. "I trust him, Syd. We sort of had a thing happen and we bonded."

"Okay," Sydney said, wondering what the "thing" was.

Susan smiled. "So that's one thing out of the way, but now I have to ask about Swearingen. All the girls at school knew he was an ass, but..."

"Susan, language?"

She rolled her eyes. "Sorry. Anyway, he was pretty horrible at school, always checking out our as - butts - and looking all pervy." She looked at Sydney, then at her father. "Are you guys...all right?"

"I don't know what might have happened if your father wouldn't have shown up." She looked at Nathan and smiled. "Happily, nobody there needs to worry about it anymore." She moved closer to Nathan and he put his arm around her.

They were quiet for a moment and Susan watched the way her father was looking at Sydney. "You aren't just having sex," she said, a slight trace of wonder in her voice. "You've said it." Her tone was sure.

Nathan took Sydney's hand and beamed. "Yeah, we have." Sydney's face mirrored his, her smile wide.

Susan's heart warmed. "Do I keep calling you Miss Turner?"

"No - well, at school I guess? For now." Sydney was snuggling into Nathan as she answered; feeling more relaxed than she could remember. It was an odd conversation taking place for sure, but not having to sneak around in Nathan's home anymore felt so freeing.