Chapter 6 - You Lost Me

Thanksgiving passed in a blur. Nathan and Susan enjoyed a lovely time with Charlie, his mother, and some extended members of the Bartlett family. Nathan had even been comfortable enough to sit at the piano and entertain them for a while – something he hadn't done in ages. He didn't know it, but he made Susan's night by letting more of her "old father" shine through.

Sydney held herself together in front of Arlen and David. She had never had any ill feelings toward David after he broke off their engagement; he was who he was and she was grateful he figured it out before they walked down the aisle. Granted, it was only a week before the wedding, but it was still somehow alright by her. She was actually the one who nudged him toward Arlen; she just somehow knew they'd work. Two years later and all was still very well. They entertained a house full of people and she smiled at each and every one of them. The nights alone in bed were a little different, but she kept it to herself not wanting to bring anyone else down with her.

When Tuesday morning rolled around, Sydney was glad for the distraction of work, while Nathan was a little upset that several wonderful days with his daughter came to an end. The school began to fill when Nathan finally decided to walk across the hall. He softly knocked on the doorframe, as he always did, and walked into Sydney's room. He promised her he wouldn't ask about "that night" and he meant to keep his word.

"Morning," he said, trying to decide whether to smile or not.

Sydney looked up from her desk and a small, friendly smile crossed her lips. "Good morning, Nathan."

He didn't even want to ask how her time off was; it would probably be a sore spot as well. "Busy day today?"

She got up, walking to the shelves on the far side of the room. "Nothing too crazy. I don't think much is retained after six days off, do you?"

"Good point. I..."

Sydney interrupted him. "So, I was wondering if you could help me during our planning period today."

Understanding that "that night" wasn't going to be brought up at all, he leaned against her desk. Her back was toward him. "Sure, what's up?"

"I told you what Arlen does."

"Yeah, he runs that place over on Twelfth Street."

Sydney turned and smiled fully, the act easing Nathan's mind. "He wants to try out a few different things there and one of them is to try and get the kids to come in. He wants, ugh, this sounds awful, an open mic kind of night. He's very into self expression and everyone being accepted." She shook her head. "It might flop terribly, but I promised I'd help him out. He's tired of hosting the same boring mini recitals and receptions and..."

"How can I help?"

"Flyer duty?" she asked, hopeful. "I got the approval to hang them."

"See you in a bit."

By Friday, the flyers had done the trick. Arlen's venue, the very aptly named "Just Be" was standing room only. Arlen and David bustled around the large room tending to the guests, the wait staff made sure all drinks were full, and Sydney was put in charge of the stage. There was a huge list of people – all ages surprisingly – that were anxious to get on stage and "just be" themselves.

Everything was going well and everyone was happy, including Sydney, but everyone has a breaking point. A young woman in her early twenties walked on stage, a nervous smile on her face. Her boyfriend sat at the piano, winked at her, and began to play. 

The woman bit her lower lip and her words floated out into the crowd.  "I am done, smoking gun. We've lost it all, the love is gone." Heartache and loss washed over Sydney instantly. "She has won, now it's no fun. We've lost it all, the love is gone." 

Sydney's eyes began to water. She hadn't told a soul, but she had found out that John didn't breakup with her out of the blue; he had met up with an ex-girlfriend in Chicago. How did she know this? John accidentally texted her rather than the ex, Christine. She didn't respond to his words, but he quickly texted again with a simple, "Sorry, Syd." 

The song continued. "And we had magic, and this is tragic...you couldn't keep your hands to yourself...I feel like the world's been infected, and somehow you left me neglected. We've found our lives been changed...babe, you lost me."

Nathan walked in after the first two verses spotting Sydney next to the stage right away. He watched her studying the younger singer and could see her fighting to keep her composure. By the time the song ended, Sydney placed her clipboard on the edge of the stage and retreated to the back hallway. Arlen had been watching her too and was going to go after her, until he saw Nathan disappear down the same corridor.

At the end of the hall, Nathan froze for a moment. He saw Sydney on the floor, her skirt pooled around her. He took a few cautious steps then went to her. "Syd?" he said, softly.

Sydney looked up, embarrassed. "Nathan? Oh, I forgot you said you'd..." She put her head in her hands. "You must think I'm a basket case. I swear, it doesn't affect me at school and..."

He was sitting beside her now, his knees drawn to his chest. "I'm divorced because my wife cheated on me," he said matter-of-factly.

Sydney's eyes questioned his. "I didn't say anything about cheating."

Nathan's head tilted a little. "You didn't' have to." He ran this hand through his hair. When he spoke again, his voice was soft. "I get where you are and I know it hurts like hell. I did as you asked and I didn't bring up what happened that night at all, but...I can imagine it's been terrible."

"It's like someone sliced open my chest and refuses to close the wound," she said sniffling and feeling ridiculous. "When I'm at school with the kids, I can ignore it."

"Is that why, all week long, you've been there before I come in and stay long after I'm gone?" Sydney nodded. "I know you've got your friends and all, but sometimes..." He sighed. "Do you consider me a friend?" She nodded. "You can talk to me."

"I appreciate it, but you don't need my self indulgent issues on your shoulders, Nathan. I need to figure out how to pull myself together and..." It was only then she realized he was holding her hand. It was a gesture of friendship - one she hadn't realized she needed so badly. "Thank you." She wiped at her eyes and Nathan helped her up. He led her out of the hallway and back into the bustling crowd.

At the back of the room, Arlen smiled.

***Christina Aguilera – You Lost Me***