Chapter 49 - Shopping

While in the car, Nathan attempted to call Susan to let her know he would be bringing Sydney home, but she didn't answer the house phone or her cell. She told him she was staying in, so he assumed her music may have been too loud. They walked in the house, Nathan carrying Sydney's small duffel (she opted for a shopping trip), and within a few minutes he saw why Susan hadn't answered her phone.

"Both of my girls are exhausted," he said softly. Susan was asleep on the couch, a box of tissues next to her. He looked over his shoulder at Sydney. "She wasn't feeling the best earlier." Sydney didn't respond, she was too caught up on the way Nathan said "my girls." She was beginning to want things - and she realized it wasn't scaring her. "Everything okay?"

Sydney nodded. "I'm going to sneak upstairs." She turned and let her smile through.

"Susie Q." He gently stroked her hair. "Let's get you to bed."

"Hmmm..." Susan groaned and didn't open her eyes. "Dad?"

"Yeah, honey." He helped her sit up. "How're you feeling?"

"Stiff neck...but a little better." She stretched. "Bed." She stood up. "Is everything okay at Sydney's?"

"Um...she's going to spend the weekend here."

Susan smiled. "Cool, but is everything okay?" Nathan was silent, unsure of how to answer. Seeing the look in her father's eyes, she continued to press at him. "Dad? What happened?"

He shook his head. "Nothing you need to worry about, I promise."

Susan looked sad. "Don't do it, okay?"

"Don't do what?"

"Not talk about whatever it is. I don't mean not with me, I mean with Sydney. When you start to bottle things up..."

"No, no. It's nothing between us."

Susan started to walk to her bedroom. "Doesn't matter, just...don't. Promise?"

Nathan understood why Susan was concerned. When he and her mother kept things from one another, things began to go downhill. "I'll talk to her tonight."

His daughter smiled. "Night, Dad."

"Night, honey." They went to their respective bedrooms, Nathan ready to let Sydney know what happened with David. He opened the door and immediately forgot everything he was going to say. Sydney was already changed and beneath the covers, her face serene as she slept. "Morning's okay too," he said to himself. He stripped to his boxers, turned off the light, and slid in beside her. He kissed her shoulder and nothing else that happened that night mattered. She was in his home now, warm in his bed, and he wanted to do nothing more than keep her safe.

The following morning, Sydney woke feeling completely relaxed for the first time since - truthfully she couldn't recall ever once feeling this relaxed. She turned over and kissed Nathan's chest, waking him. "Morning," she whispered, smiling.

"Morning." He shifted, taking her into his arms, her head resting above his heart. "Sleep well?"

She traced circles around his bellybutton, something she was infatuated with. "I'm so sorry I crashed before you came to bed."

"No, baby, I'm happy you're comfortable here." He kissed the top of her head, remembering the previous night and his anger with David.

"So, still want to go shopping for some – Nathan, are you really sure about this? I don't want you to think you have to make room for me here."

"Syd, there isn't anything I want more than for you to feel at home here. If you can't relax in your own house..."

"Ridiculous, isn't it?" she interrupted. "I'm thinking about looking for an apartment. I wanted to wait, but..." She sighed and looked up at the man she was so very in love with. "You'll only ever be honest with me, right?"