Chapter 29 - Taco Night

A couple of days passed; they were filled with rehearsals, work, and David moving most of his things into Sydney's home. With how things were progressing with the baby and Rachel, it was looking more and more like Arlen was going to get what he hated himself for wishing: his chance to raise a baby girl.

Controlled chaos was the best way to describe everything happening at once. With all that had been going on, Sydney and Nathan were without a single moment to begin outlining the project Principal Hawkins had assigned them. So Wednesday night, after Sydney had done her part at "Just Be", she asked Nathan to meet her at her home so they could at least try to get part of their mentoring program on paper.

Nathan was sitting at the kitchen table, a blank legal pad in front of him. "Syd, we don't have to do this tonight."

Sydney was standing in front of the stove, frantically cooking enough for a small army. "Nathan, I know we need to show him something soon. Things are a little hectic right now, but..."

"I'm fairly certain that's a gross understatement," he laughed. "Look, uh..." He sighed. "I feel like an ass asking this and you don't have to answer, but...David's moving in?"

Sydney stopped stirring the meat in the skillet and turned to face Nathan. He could have sworn he saw shame in her eyes. "Have you ever wondered about this house?" Nathan cocked his head, silently questioning her. "Substitute teacher, crappy income, nice house?"

"Um...not really." He truly hadn't given it much thought at all. She wasn't there on her own, she had Arlen and he seemed to to rather well for himself.

Sydney shook her head. "To make a long, pathetic story short, David built this house for us before he, you know. He felt so terrible about everything that, well, here I am while he's been in an apartment." She tuned back to the stove. "The big, fancy doctor is paying rent despite having had all of this."

Nathan understood the look in her eyes now. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked about it."

"I hope you're not worried about anything in particular," she said, her voice quite a bit lighter than it was a moment ago. "He's with Arlen..."

"Oh, uh, no," Nathan stammered. "I know that, I'm not thinking that you two would or could ever...fuck, that's a lie."

She turned to face him again, smiling. "I know." She walked over to him and began to massage his shoulders. "If it makes you feel any better, I think you might have set the bar too high for anyone else in several areas." He relaxed into her touch, but she still felt tension. "And you're still worried?"

"The way you described him...intense and sort of overpowering..."

"It was most likely overcompensation for what he was really feeling."

"Having two bodies under one roof that he...shit. Syd, I..."

Sydney leaned down so her head rested on his shoulder. "I can understand your concern, Nathan, really, but I swear to you, there's nothing to worry about." Her voice saddened. "I've been saving what I can for a while. If I could catch a break and get a permanent position, I could move out sooner, but..."

"No, I don't mean..." He groaned. "I shouldn't have said anything."

She moved so she could face him. "Whether or not you and I happened, this was always temporary. I can't stay in a 'guilt house.' I knew as soon as he and Arlen were ready...and now with Rachel in rehab and the baby due to leave the hospital in a couple of weeks..." Tears came to her eyes, but she blinked them back. Nathan got up and took her into his arms. "Then there's Jess and Brynn and I know he needs someone and..."