Chapter 53 - Desk #2

In the week that followed, David agreed to go into rehab - citing a personal leave from the hospital - Jess took on more responsibility for his baby sister, and things began to...settle. After school on Thursday, Sydney ran home and prepared for that night's board meeting. She and Nathan were finally to present their mentoring program. She showered and redressed, a bit more professionally, then returned to campus around six in the evening. Everything went smoothly and the board was not only receptive, but positive. Once the meeting finished, Nathan stayed and spoke to some of the board while Sydney went to her room to collect a few papers she wanted to read that night.

"Miss Turner," a male voice came through Sydney's door, startling her. "We haven't been properly introduced. I'm Adam Sedgwick." He closed the door behind him then approached her desk, extending his hand. He had sat in on the presentation. She took his hand and shook it firmly, feigning confidence. "You and Gardner put quite a bit of preparation into that little show, hm?"

"Show...sir?" she asked, unsure of just what was happening, and unhappy with her door being shut.

He laughed, the sound cold. "Of course. You don't think any of that will ever be put into play do you?"

"I'm sorry, but the board seemed to think it would work out well."

He shook his head, laughing louder. "You have no idea how this works, do you?"

Sydney felt herself become offended. "Nathan and I worked on that for months, it will work. It'll pull money and student teachers into the district and..."

"You know who else has been working for months, Miss Turner?" Sedgwick asked, lowering his voice. She didn't answer him. "The baseball team. They trained all through the off season, but they lost their first two games already." He saw confusion wash over her face. "You worked hard on something that won't pay off and now all of those young men are in the same position. You had their coach fired."

Sydney shifted her weight, suddenly very uncomfortable. "Teams win games, not their coaches; especially not ones that are using things that impair their judgment."

Sedgwick rolled his eyes. "I'm pretty sure your bruises are healed and had you not led him on..."

She interrupted him, her stomach turning. "Please tell me you have a cruel sense of humor..."

"Of course that situation has other repercussions for you. Having Gardner get involved..."

She swallowed, her throat tight. "I didn't get him involved. He heard me yell and...have I done something to you?"

His answer was swift. "You got the man that makes college recruiters come to this district fired."

"He got himself fired..."

"I hope Joe hasn't been stringing you along about being hired here, Miss Turner. He doesn't have the power to get you a permanent position here, I do...and I won't be recommending you."

Sydney's face was warm and her breath shallow, she was dizzy with anger. "You..." she choked on the word. "I've raised the average grades across all of my classes, I volunteer my time on a consistent basis, the kids trust me..."

"You got a good man fired over nothing, Miss Turner, that simply doesn't bode well for you."

"A good man? The female students felt uncomfortable around him! He leered and..." A fact clicked in Sydney's brain. "You don't hire people, the board does," she said sharply, forcing tears to stay in her eyes. "Several board members apologized profusely for what Rick did. They also said that he was to have been let go ages ago."