Chapter 33 - Love

"Hey, has anyone seen Sydney?" Brynn asked, the changing weather outside concerning her.

    Jess stopped folding the tablecloth in his hands and responded with, "I'm pretty sure Nathan was helping her put away the tables from the silent auction. I'll go check on them." He looked back at Brynn while he was walking. "Gettin' pretty bad out, huh?"

    "To say the least."

    Sydney and Nathan were, indeed, putting tables away, but when they found themselves alone for a moment after such an emotional evening...things began to transpire. They were breathing shared air, when they came up for it, and their hands were most certainly occupied.

    "Hey, Syd," Jess called, far louder than necessary, "the roads are getting really bad."

    The couple broke apart and Sydney did her best to compose herself, smoothing out the hoodie and jeans she changed into. She exited the storage room before Nathan. "Oh no, really?" she asked, appearing normal to everyone but Jess. He didn't let on that he knew a thing.

    "How bad is bad?" Nathan asked, now exiting the room while pretending his hands needed to be wiped on a towel.

    "Wouldn't be surprised if they started closing roads soon," Jess said, walking back to the main area, Sydney and Nathan following. "Really soon." He was looking out of a window now. "Any chance we can worry about this tomorrow?"

    "Sounds like a plan," Sydney started, "there are just a few things in the kitchen that have to be..."

    "Okay, that car just did a three sixty," Brynn yelled, panic stricken; being in a car in extreme conditions made her nervous.

    "Jess and I can finish up," Eric offered. "Nathan, can you get the ladies home?"

    "Uh, yeah."  Nathan stammered a little. "I just...Syd, I can take you and Brynn home in your car, I didn't drive here."

    "He could just stay at the house 'til morning, couldn't he, Syd?" Jess asked. "I can take him home then." He winked at Nathan, but nobody else saw the action.

    Sydney's face felt warm. "It's...it's up to Nathan, really." She looked at him. "Susan?"

    "She's at Charlie's. His mother was having a lock-in of sorts for most of his friends tonight, she won't be home until tomorrow."

    "Well, it's all set then!" Jess excalimed. "You get them home safely and Eric and I will do the last few things here, lock up, and use his expensive all wheel drive whatever it is to meet you at home."

    "Where it just so happens I'll be needing to spend the night too," Eric said smugly.

    Sydney sighed. "Plenty of room as long as everyone's civil."

    That's how the night was supposed to progress. Nathan helped Sydney and Brynn out to the car without anyone slipping on the way. He got behind the wheel and, though it took quite a while, he got them all home safely.

    "Sorry for the inconvenience," Nathan said as convincingly as he could, walking into the living room.

    "Don't be silly," Sydney answered. "Thank you for getting us home." She cleared her throat. "You can take Arlen's room tonight and..."

    "Oh, are you kidding?" Brynn's phone rang while Sydney and Nathan were talking and the conversation didn't sound good. "Well, you have anything there you need. The two couches in the employee lounge fold out into beds...No, he's just always planning that way, better safe than sorry. I'm sorry...yeah...see you in the morning." She hung up her phone and looked at Sydney. "They closed the roads fifteen minutes after we left. Jess and Eric are stuck there until morning." Sydney could tell that Brynn was disappointed over losing her sleepover. "Hot chocolate and a movie?"