Chapter 62 - We're Home

"Is this really necessary?" Sydney asked the nurse who was tending to her.

"It's precautionary," she answered, her voice kind. "You didn't need stitches, but you took a couple of decent blows to your head. I promise it won't be so bad."

Sydney sighed. Every good thing she experienced today felt almost meaningless. "I was supposed to be somewhere..." She closed her eyes and attempted to rest as she was slid into a narrow tube.

"Love..." Joe said the word at least a half dozen times since entering the waiting room. "I had an inkling of something, but..."

Nathan's head was in his heads. "I just want to take her home." He was with Sydney in the back of the ambulance and while she was in the emergency room. He was caked in sand, mud, and dried blood and refused to leave the building. A male nurse who heard about what happened took him where he could shower and gave him a clean pair of scrubs to wear while Susan ran home for a clean set of clothes. He ran his fingers through his damp hair, frustrated and somewhat scared.

"Nathan, this is all at the board's insistence, you know that. They just want to be sure she's all right. Her insurance isn't going to get billed, the district is taking care of everything."

"They should." Nathan shook his head. "Do you know how excited she was this afternoon? How happy? Between the job offer and moving in this weekend..."

"Moving in?"

"Mister Gardner?" A middle-aged woman approached him, a sweet smile on her face. "You can go back now, she's all done."

"Give her my best, Nathan," Joe said, patting his shoulder.

"I will." Nathan jogged down the hall and when he crossed through the threshold to her room, Sydney's arms were outstretched in his direction. He went to her, carefully taking her into his arms. "Sydney are you okay?"

"They locked him up, right?" Nathan nodded in response. "Then I'm fine. I want to go home. Why do I have to stay here?"

"Truth?"

"Always, please."

"The district has to cover their asses." He brushed her hair away from her eyes. "I'm so sorry..."

Sydney shook her head and stopped him immediately. "Nathan, nobody could have known he'd show up there. You got him away from me before he could try anything...worse. I just wish his crappy aim would've made him hit the wall instead of my head."

"Me too." Nathan watched as Sydney yawned, her body exhausted. "You can drift off, Syd, it's okay."

"You should go get some rest, too."

He pressed a soft kiss to her forehead. "I'm not leaving your side."

The following evening, Sydney and Nathan were home. The nurse told Nathan that Sydney's hair could be washed to remove any traces of dried blood, but that it had to be done carefully. He drew a bath for her and did just that. Warm water soothed Sydney's aching muscles and she let her eyes close.

"Syd, baby, you okay?"

His fingers softly massaging her scalp felt wonderful and it she had almost fallen asleep. She opened her eyes. "I'm okay, promise."

"Almost done, then we can get you into bed and..." He stopped, Sydney's smile puzzling him. "What?"

"Mother hen," she giggled.

"Am not," he argued softly, knowing full well he was.

"I'm actually excited to get into bed. I can't believe you spent the night on that horrible chair."