Chapter 51 - Her First Sleepover

"Two and a half months," Nathan said, his voice almost sad. "I wasn't even going to ask you about it until..."

"You were already thinking about that?" she asked. Sydney's words were the last spoken the night before, neither one of them quite knowing how to react in the moment. The honest truth had slipped from her lips and they were comforting enough to let them both drift into a rather restful sleep. They were in the shower together and she was washing his back, slowly massaging his muscles as she did so.

"I talked to Susan about it...how do they make this stuff smell carbonated?"

Sydney giggled. "It's not that long of a wait...right? And it gives us time to be sure it's what we both really want..."

Nathan turned around a little too quickly. "You don't think we..."

Sydney put her finger to his lips, stopping his words. "I didn't say that and I'm not thinking it. It's just," she took a deep breath, "a fact." She lathered his chest, enjoying the scent of Black Cherry Italian Soda that Nathan picked out. When she moved the loofah to his abdomen, she smiled. "I want to spend every night next to you...and I want to be your permanent ab washer."

He bent and kissed her, pulling her close and covering her in suds. He pulled back, laughing. "I think we should get a bed." Sydney raised an eyebrow. "I've been wanting to get rid of that one for a while and it should be something we both agree on and that Celia never touched." Sydney giggled. "What?"

"I find it funny that that bothers you more than it does me."

They finished up, dried and dressed, and Sydney asked to be taken home. While Nathan didn't want her to go, he knew that she had a few things to clean up there. During the car ride, she persuaded Nathan to tell her exactly what David said to him on Friday night. He saw anger and hurt in her eyes, but not a single tear fell and that worried him. He kissed her, making sure the act was deep and lingering – his support to her. He took a deep, shaky breath before pulling away. Sydney seemed to share that breath before she opened the front door. Once inside her home, every bit of good she had over the weekend was overshadowed.

Jess, David, Arlen, and the baby were all in the kitchen. Arlen's eyes were ashamed. He instantly recalled Nathan's words to him, but he didn't have the chance to apologize. She looked at all three men and wished, more than anything, that there wasn't a baby in the house.

Sydney looked at Jess, her eyes kind, but serious. "Go to Brynn's or to Eric's, I don't care which. Grab a bag and do not come home until after class tomorrow."

"Syd?" Jess was confused. "I'm sorry I left you my laundry, I didn't mean to make you think..."

"Sweetie, this isn't about you. Please run upstairs, pack your stuff and go." Her tone made him get up and do as she asked. She didn't speak another word until he was walking out the front door five minutes later. Her eyes went to Arlen next. He started to say something, but she shook her head. "I know you have a lot going on too. I've known you my whole life and you have never not been there for me. We need to find a proper babysitter so we can all balance out our work and personal schedules. I need you to please take Kayla upstairs." Arlen didn't hesitate. He knew something was going to happen between Sydney and David when she got home based on the tension he witnessed between David and Nathan.

"And where are you sending me off to?" David asked, smug.

"Get your ass downstairs, now," she ordered, her voice shaking.

David smiled at her. "Only because I'm curious." He got up and opened the door to the basement. It was finished and while it wasn't sound proof, it was dampened, meant for parties to be able to occur without completely bothering anyone upstairs.