Chapter 30 - Loss and Flowers

Later that evening, Arlen walked into Sydney's room - without knocking. By the light streaming in from the hallway he could see her face, peaceful and happy with a slight smile on her lips, and hated that he was going to disrupt whatever lovely dream she was having. He made his way to her bed and sat on its edge. He gently stroked her cheek while saying her name. "Sydney...Sydney, honey, I need you to wake up."

"Mmm...Arlen?" She opened her eyes and saw his tears right away. "Arlen?" She was instantly awake and sat up on her elbows. "What's wrong?"

"Rachel's gone," he said, his voice hollow. Sydney couldn't form a question. "She overdosed in rehab...and, before you ask, I have no idea how it happened." He wiped at his eyes and prepared to confess to his best friend. "What's worse is that, Syd, I'm not crying because she's dead. I'm crying because...I'm relieved." He broke down completely and Sydney took him into her arms.

"Oh, sweetheart." She rubbed his back as sobs rocked his body. Rachel was sent to a first class rehabilitation center out of state - David knew of it and was footing the bill. Somehow Sydney just knew that something was looming over that woman that she wasn't going to be able to fight any longer. She felt as guilty as Arlen, her heart broke for him alone and not Rachel. She was also relieved that her daughter was going to have a wonderful life, not bounce around like Jess did.

"David and I have to leave tonight...there's so much to do..."

"How can I help?"

Arlen looked up, a different sort of worry making itself known. "The fundraiser..."

"Don't give it a second thought."

"It's so much..."

"We'll take care of it – all of it – I promise. I'll even call in some more favors with the AV club and record it for you."

"I could cancel..."

Sydney let go of him and took on a faux stern voice. "And let all of your mandatory perfection fade into nothingness? I don't think so, mister." She forced a smile. "I'll MC and organize everything I can. I can take the day off from school and...Brynn and Jess will..."

He sniffled and interrupted. "I have it planned to the microsecond...I really need to rethink that sort of thing, huh?"

"Right now you don't need to think about anything, okay?" She kissed his cheek. "Let's go get you packed, hm?"

After getting Arlen packed and sending him off to the airport with David, Sydney went back up to her room and crawled into bed. Tears fell from her eyes and she couldn't stop them. Her heart shattered for her best friend - for his guilt, his relief, and his soon to be joy. She looked at the clock, the blue digits telling her it was three twenty-five; she couldn't stop her hands from picking up her phone and dialing Nathan.

Nathan's voice was groggy and concerned when he answered. "Syd? Everything okay?"

"I'm so sorry for waking you." He heard the tears in her voice and woke up fully. "I just had to get Arlen off to the airport...his sister overdosed...she's gone."

"Oh, God, Syd...I'm so sorry...what can I do?"

Sydney sniffled. "You answered the phone," she said, the words heavy. "I...I think that's all I needed."

"I can come over, if...if you need me."

Her breath hitched. "I do need you," she whispered. She cleared her throat, trying to pull herself together. "Though we both need to sleep. After school, I have to get right over to Just Be and..."