Chapter 43 - Sydney's Secret

The next morning, Sydney stood in Nathan's kitchen, dressed in a pair of his pajamas, bacon sizzling on the stovetop. She was making for breakfast for the man she loved, and his daughter, and it felt right. She looked out the kitchen window as she stirred the scrambled eggs in the other skillet. Everything outside was gleaming, coated in ice. The storm hit hard and she was grateful that it kept her there overnight. She was working on a bit of seasoning when Susan walked into the room.

"I could get used to something like this," she said, her voice light. "Dad humming in the shower and you cooking breakfast - it's a good Saturday morning."

Sydney smiled as she looked back at the stovetop. She didn't want to seem overly happy, as she was afraid it would make everything too good to be true. "I'm just glad you're okay with everything."

"Okay? Are you kidding me? This is the best thing that's happened since I met Charlie." Her face suddenly fell and Sydney took notice. She was going to ask what was wrong, but Susan spoke first. "Sydney, I really need to know something. I wanted to ask last night, but Dad came back in the room."

Sydney swallowed. "Oh?"

"In the time you've known him...do you know if he's slipped? I don't want to take advantage of your relationship, but I...I know he's had a few bad days and he's sworn to me that he hasn't but, well, has he?"

"He hasn't," Sydney answered honestly, transferring the eggs from the skillet to a bowl. She sighed, the sound heavy. "He came close a couple of times, but..." She looked at Susan and wanted to tell her more, but it wasn't her place. "You should probably talk to your dad."

"Talk to Dad about what?" Nathan asked smiling. He walked into the kitchen, his eyes bright and his hair still slightly damp. He looked comfortable dressed in a pair of gray sweats and an aged concert t-shirt. He kissed the top of Susan's head.

"Later," Susan said, not wanting to spoil the morning. "Sleep well?"

"Ah, see that? Wonderful grammar," Nathan laughed as he approached Sydney. He slid an arm around her waist and kissed her cheek. "She must have a superb teacher."

They all sat and had breakfast together and Nathan assessed the state of the roads outside. According to him, they were in no condition to be traveled on. Sydney called Arlen to let him know she was going to spend the day at Nathan's – she hadn't lied about being there; after all they were working on their project and Susan was there now. After breakfast, Sydney decided on a shower and Susan had those questions for her father.

"Dad?"

"Yeah, Susie Q?"

"I'm happy for you."

Nathan's face fell. "But?"

She didn't hesitate. "I asked Sydney if you came close to drinking and she said yes, but she wouldn't tell me anything other than the fact that you didn't. I need to know when."

Her father's voice was soft and slightly embarrassed. "Honey, I never did so why does it matter?"

Susan frowned. "Because I watched you drown for so long, Dad. I need to know what almost pushed you under again."

He understood and put his humiliation aside. He told her about Christmas Eve, the night with her mother, and the day he saved Sydney at school. As he recounted his near falls he began to realize just how they were prevented. Of course, he didn't tell Susan about any of the rough sex that had transpired, Christmas aside. He did tell her that Sydney had been there for him each time and helped him to battle his demons. She seemed happy with the answers and retreated to her room for a while. Nathan went to the bathroom, his mood completely changed from earlier.