Chapter 45 - Keep Him

Sydney walked through the doors of the club and was greeted immediately, as well as affectionately, by a man with platinum blonde and blue streaked hair. "Sydney!" he shouted, running to her. "Gorgeous! I simply don't see enough of you, you know that?"

She smiled brightly. "Hey, Sexy," she said, mocking seduction. She hugged the man as Nathan trailed behind her.

"Look at you." He eyed her in a way that would have suggested so many dirty things if he wasn't so obviously uninterested. Sydney did her best to "pull out all the stops" so to speak. She wanted to fit into the glamour of the club as well as look alluring for Nathan. She chose the best friend of so many women: the little black dress. It hugged her curves hugged in a rather precise manner, enticing to anyone interested in woman's body and her ample cleavage, which had been a source of self-consciousness and embarrassment until her late twenties, was very much on display. She had gone full glam with her makeup, her lips deep red and her eyes dark and smoky. Her hair was curled and pulled into an intricately messy up-do, leaving her neck exposed and, she hoped, vulnerable to a particular set of lips. The last piece of the puzzle? Silver heels which would no doubt wind up under a table somewhere when her feet could no longer stand them. "Stunning, sweetheart."

"Thank you," she blushed, knowing she had just received one hell of a seal of approval.

"And who might this be?" the man asked, approaching Nathan.

"He might be the man who has been gracing my sheets, as well as other areas," Sydney purred. She looked at Nathan and winked. "Jared, this is Nathan Gardner. Nathan, Jared."

Jared extended his hand and Nathan took it. "Pleasure."

"Very nice to meet you," Nathan said, a bit unsure of Sydney's introduction.

He looked at Sydney, then back at Nathan. While his look was simple, it was certainly alluring. Wearing perfectly tailored black trousers and a red button down shirt, with the first two buttons undone and his sleeves rolled up, he looked fantastic. He tried to shave, but Sydney convinced him that the stubble he was sporting was sexy and he listened to her. He was letting his hair grow out just a little, something he usually never did, and the ends had taken on a slight wave. "Honey, he's a dreamboat, isn't he?"

"He is," she replied, beaming.

Jared's lips curled into a wide smile. "He's the birthday present?" Sydney shrugged. "Oh, no, no, no...Arlen's been after you for months to, well, you know we gossip like school girls all the time, but...you've been a selfish little thing with this one, haven't you?" Sydney was quiet, waiting to see just how much Jared knew. "I don't blame you a bit, Syd. I know how he can be with you, but he's going to be thrilled!" The man went over a few details with her before heading to the back of the club.

"So...welcome to Pegasus, Nathan." She took his hands in hers. "I warned you that it was going to be a little different and..."

"Have I told you yet that you look gorgeous?" Nathan asked, interrupting her.

She bit back her smile. "A couple times." She laughed, unable to help herself. "Funny thing is...I'm going to have to be the one making sure none of the men here hit on you, not the other way around." She playfully slapped his rear. "I mean, look at that thing!"

He began to sway his hips, punctuating his words. "I have no...idea...what you're...talking about." He laughed and Sydney knew she wasn't going to have to worry about him being uncomfortable at all.

A couple of hours later, the club was decorated and the lights were dimmed. By no means was the establishment closed to the public tonight - on the contrary, for Arlen the more the merrier - but it was certainly tailored for a party. One portion in the back was roped off for Arlen's guests. Here a large cake was displayed and the catered food was set up. Everything was flowing smoothly when the guests began to arrive.