Mysterious Pathways

The group walked for several miles until they hear construction noises. Trumpkin gave them a warning glance.

"That's the bridge, and that's where the Telmarines work." Trumpkin told them.

They watched as the men cut and brought down trees, hammered and moved them around, building the bridge. Then they heard a horse, and they hid down behind the rock as they passed beside then.

"Perhaps this wasn't the best way to go, after all." Susan whispered intensely.

The group got up quickly and got in the woods again. They went back to the spot where Lucy predicted having contact with Aslan.

"So, where exactly do you think you saw Aslan?" Peter asked.

Lucy turned to look at them and got angry.

"I wish you all stop trying to sound like grown-ups!" Lucy said irritably. "I don't think I saw Aslan, I did see him!" As she said it, she walked away to the border.

"I'm a grown-up." Trumpkin mumbled, which a smirk from Edmund.

"It was right over..." Lucy said and then suddenly, the floor she was standing fell. She stifled a scream.

"Lucy!" Susan screamed as they rushed to her. She was sitting five feet above them, in the start of a strange pathway down to the river.

"Here." Lucy finished her sentence.

The group descended carefully, walking as slowly as we could so as not to fall. Peter had a strong grip of Edmund's hand. Lucy almost fell, but Trumpkin grabbed her before anything could happen.

That night, the group find a spot sleep and set a camp fire.

As the boys and Trumpkin slept, Lucy was awake, and to her surprise, Susan as well.

"Lucy..." Susan said. "You're awake?"

"Yeah, why?" Lucy asked.

"Why did you think I didn't see Aslan?" Susan asked.

Lucy stood up and stared at Susan in surprise.

"You believe me?" She asked in bewilderment.

"Well, we went across the gorge." Susan said and then sighed.

"I don't really know, Su." Lucy said. "Maybe you didn't want to?"

Susan then looked at Lucy and frowned at as if a thought struck her.

"You always knew we're coming back here, didn't you?" Susan asked worriedly.

"I actually did." Lucy said timidly.

Susan sighed and lie down again. "I think I got used to the idea of being in England again." She said sadly.

"But you're happy to be here, aren't you?" Lucy asked.

There was a long silence, as if Susan ignored her question, but she spoke.

"While it lasts." Susan said determinedly and went to sleep. Lucy did the same.