4

" You're half the world away, "

☆☆☆

Last night was hectic, probably because of what happened.

Gaeul's mother broke down into tears as her heart lets out a sigh of relief after knowing what had happened and that Gaeul was thankfully, safe. Gaeul left her house to fetch her mom at the supermarket, knowing that her mother's eyesight wasn't in the best condition during dark.

It was even more dangerous for girls like her to go out at night, but she had the courage to do it, willing to take risk of whatever she was going to face since her district was well known for large gangs.

Thankfully the both of them made home safely, and Gaeul felt so drowsy she couldn't even make an effort to talk to the moon, leaving the man in the moon lonely for the rest of the night.

But the man in the moon was the one who lulled her to sleep, smiling as he watched over her as he waited for night to turn into day.

Waking up in the morning in a daze, the first thing that she felt was the pain on her wrists ; caused by the grip of the man that was so hard she knew that soon those red marks would turn into ugly, black bruises.

Gaeul sat on her bed for a good ten minutes trying to make out if what happened last night was really true, since the red marks on her wrists were clear proof that it happened-

Ah, but no, that wasn't what she was thinking about.

The illusion of a man in the moon hasn't disappeared from her thoughts ever since the moment she woke up.

It felt so real ; so real that she almost believed it.

Of course, she couldn't jump straight to conclusions, could she? She needed proof.

Gaeul went downstairs and sat by the kitchen counter as her mom made omelettes for their breakfast. It was a normal Saturday for the both of them ; the only day that her mother would be free. Otherwise she'd be somewhere working.

"You know, Gaeul," her mother started a conversation as they ate their breakfast "I had a weird dream last night."

Gaeul just nodded and her mom proceeded to tell her.

"I dreamt about Chan," her mother said, and Gaeul's stomach dropped, remembering what used to happen to her little brother.

Neither of them knows where Chan went, or what happened to him. When he disappeared, Gaeul was the only one who noticed his disappearance. Her mother was too busy with the divorce with her father that she left the house and left Gaeul in charge of Chan, not knowing Chan was already gone.

But Gaeul was too young to even report about his disappearance, but he knew Chan was somewhere ; somewhere better. That kid deserves it, she thought. As much as she wants him to be free, she misses her brother who's been there for her a lot.

"What about Chan?" She asks her mother.

"He was out my window. He was floating," her mother says "I was so surprised to see him, he waved at me once and flew away, a few other boys holding onto his arm as they disappeared."

"Mom, are you sure that was a dream?" Gaeul asks.

"I think it was, I woke up on my bed as usual," her mother chuckles at the thought, a hint of bitterness in her voice, and then she mutters quietly "I miss Chan."

And Gaeul doesn't reply even if she heard her mother's words. She knows how it felt to be lonely.

Gaeul doesn't do anything for the rest of the day but decides to do her homework as fast as she can, then does more research about the moon.

She thought, did he receive her letter? It would be possible that he didn't, but a miracle if he did.

And the image of the man that she saw ; she couldn't describe what he looked like. Nobody could. He was just simply beautiful.

Gaeul needed proof that he was actually there. She's been believing in the man in the moon for years, the moon was her savior ever since her childhood. Even if he was so far away, it wouldn't be impossible that he couldn't see her right? The moon's helped her with a lot.

So once again, she makes an effort to write to him, this time with a telescope placed neatly in a box.

She's willing to sacrifice her things, because she's convinced.

The man in the moon has always been there.

-------------------------

I just found out that writing is my way of releasing stress, besides sleeping

I'm pulling an all nighter tonight bc i gotta finish two fucking banners for tomorrow

I've had like 2 cups of coffee alrd and thankfully its keeping me awake, but just slowing down my system bc im sleepy

Meanwhile im just taking a break so im writing instead.

- Cee