thirty-five

Justin

If Ariana didn't realize what she meant to me, she did now. I was both euphoric and terrified all at once. She crept out with her shirt pulled tight and wadded at her chest, nervous, and looked at the door. I turned, locking it. I couldn't formulate my next words, what else could I say? She stood next to my guitar looking ever more demure and I wondered what she must be thinking. I was too afraid to ask. How ironic, at that moment both she and my guitar were staring at me. I'd always expressed myself through my music, now my words were raw. I was completely exposed.

"You know that song I'd mentioned to you earlier?" I said as I walked over next to her and grabbed my guitar. I lingered a bit, taking in her eyes, trying to mind read her.

"Yeah," she said softly.

I brushed past her and the energy coursed.

I reached into my bag, grabbing out my leather bound notebook and sat on the bed. I thumbed through the pages, finding what I was looking for. "Here, these are the lyrics." I handed her the notebook and getting up I grabbed a highlighter pen out of my desk drawer.

I glanced over my shoulder to check her reaction. I could see her eyes move over the words and her slender fingers came up, covering her mouth.

"Oh, Justin..."

I cleared my throat. "See, these words here." I said, taking back the notebook and sat back down on the bed. "These are the ones that you'd sing."

The black script lit up under the transparent bright yellow ink and my heart raced with each stroke.

"Justin, is this how you feel?" she whispered, taken with emotion.

"Yeah. It is." I smiled and shrugged. "I'm kinda assuming a lot here."

I tapped down hard on the highlighted lyrics, the ones that spoke of love.

"Those are mine, huh?" Ariana leaned into me and put her head on my shoulder, dreamily. "Yeah, I think I'm there. I feel like I'm there, but I don't know. When do you really know?"

I rested my head against hers. "I don't know. I guess it's just how you feel inside. This is how I feel inside." I reached over for my guitar. "What do you say that we give this a spin?"

Ariana giggled and motioned for me to go for it. I began to play the tune.

"I'll sing it through first, and then we'll sing the whole thing together and then we'll do separate parts."

I SWEAR

Open your eyes

I won't see them for a while

With all that space left in between

Now close your eyes

Let me hold you for a while

And feel me sweetly as I sing

I swear, I swear

That I won't let you go

If you're fallin', I'm fallin' too

You know, I swear

When I close my eyes

And I hold you into me

All I feel is everything

And all want, is all I got

all I need is your love