forty-three

Ariana

The breeze, cool against my sun heated skin, reminded me I had an end of summer volleyball session at two at the beach.

"I have to leave for volleyball soon," I said, bending over picking a flower from the pot that sat next to me. "I'll be back by five, you guys wanna come over for dinner."

"Yeah," Nadine said quickly. "I don't wanna be alone, you know, need to keep my mind off of shit."

"I can't, Grant's coming over," Nicole informed. "So, does this mean you're not gonna come over anymore?"

"No, but I'm not ready to act like this is no big deal," Nadine admitted. "The guy just dumped me via text message. He's an asshole, Nicole. I don't wanna see his face. I'd probably punch him in the nose."

***

Nicole bailed and we sat on the edge of my bed staring at each other in my closet mirrors. The redness in her eyes had faded and all that remained was glossed over puffiness.

"You remind me of a bunny rabbit." I pointed to her nose, smiling. "Chris will regret dumping you, you'll see. Screw him. Hold your head high, like it was you who did the dumping. You know, that's what he liked about you, your fearless attitude. He may even realize he effed up." I was serious when I spoke. I didn't want to give her false hope, but I'd seen it with my sister and her boyfriend. He'd broken up with her, and then came back kissing her ass when she acted like she didn't give shit.

Nadine picked up my phone, giving me a sly smile. "So what's up with you and Mike?" She handed me my phone. "I saw a text from him flash up after you stormed out of the house earlier."

I sighed loudly. "Justin doesn't know I talk to Mike."

Nadine's eyes widened. "You little weasel." She looked surprised. "What's up with that?"

I laughed, a bit uncomfortable. "Nice choice of words," I laughed more shoving her away. "It's Mike. He's the one that reaches out. I don't wanna offend him. He's nice to me, so why should I be a bitch just because Justin hates him?"

"Are you retarded?"

"No." I huffed, looking at her cross.

"He likes you, Ari. Duh!" She threw herself back on my bed slapping her forehead. "And here I thought I might have had a chance."

"No he doesn't." I really wanted to believe what I was saying, but I had to face the possibility.

"Uh, yes he does." She hesitated. "He was always staring at you and shit." Her arms fell hard to her sides and bounced on the mattress. "I can't wait to go to school tomorrow and start fresh. Fuck these pricks."

"Nadine!"

"Ari, you can't deny it," she moaned propping herself up by her elbows.

"I really think he's just being cool, you know, like the other guys." I fidgeted with my ring. "He acted as if he was doing me a favor by staying in touch while they were on tour."

"Um, dumb dumb, the other guys aren't texting you asking how you're doing behind your boyfriend's back." She sat up. "Are you seriously that dim?"

"No." I folded my arms to my chest. "I didn't want to think that way, I guess."

"Be careful, Ari. If Justin finds out he might not have it." She said ruefully.

I grew panicky. "Do you think I should tell Justin? Shit, you know, I knew it wasn't right. But I didn't want to offend Mike, and have him be a dick to me," I whined.