Blood

Jadens p.o.v.

I look at Drake as he stares back at me. Heath stands between us with a child in hand that I eye wearily. If the children are so bad as to attack me then would the larger male, Heath, do so too? I stare at him until I recognize the small boy in his arms, the same boy that cried. I frowned, mentally, because I didn't mean to make him cry. He was the only one that didn't try to get to me, he stayed at the back just staring at a wall while the others tried frantically to reach me behind Drake's arms. When I looked again Drake was gone.

"Sorry about this whole deal Jaden." Heath said and I stood up nodding, it wasn't the first time I've been attacked. He knew my name. Drake must have told him but when? I walked over stiffly, not wanting the pain in my back to intensify. I let it go because I guess it's not a big deal right now. I stop in front of Heath and watch as he raises a brow before flashing me a smile. He was a good looking man around the same build as Drake and had this handsome boyish kind of face that went perfectly with his blond hair but my true concentration was on the shaking body in has arms. 

"Hey." I said softly and reached out to touch the young boys back but I hesitated right before I touched him. Heath knew I was talking to the child so he bounced him lightly, trying to get him to look up. It didn't work. I wanted to apologize because it was my fault for punching the kid that stumbled into him.

"Paul, Jaden wants to tell you something." Heath whispers and nudges him again but the small boy just clutches onto Heath tighter and shakes his head. Heath sighs and gives me a small sad smile. "He's terribly shy."

I nodded along and changed the direction of my hand to poke at the boys side and then tug lightly on his bear that was squished between their bodies. "What's your bears name?" I asked. I didn't really care but the kid seems very attached to it so maybe talking about the bear will loosen him up enough to talk. He hugs it tighter and peeks at me from the side of Heath's face.

"Jake." He mumbled softly and I smiled at him, his face stayed neutral and blank so it soon left my face. He seemed to be looking at something on the wall behind me but when I looked back there was nothing on the empty wall.

"Is there a reason his name is Jake?" I asked tentatively. He gave a slight nod and the tiniest of smiles while a blush worked itself across his cheeks.

"Its my brothers name..." He trailed off. Huh, that was interesting. I guess. Maybe the kid was separated from his brother. Or he died. Its always a possibly because people die everyday, it's just how life works in this curupt world anyway. It's nothing for me to worry about so i let it go quickly.

"I see.... well I wanted to say sorry for getting you hurt Paul." I trailed off awkwardly and glanced to the left while Heath continued to baby the child. Paul, after a moment, popped his head out of hiding and smiled shyly.

"Its ok." It seems as if every word that came out of his mouth is soft and it's cute. I lean forward and open my arms slowly, encouraging the shy boy to lean forward and hug me. He does so hesitantly and wraps his arms around my neck while Heath holds his lower body. Its an awkward hug but a hug none the less so I'm happy to give the boy at least this comfort. Hugs are weird. Paul stiffens in my arms and everything goes downhill from then on.

Paul uses Heath's hold and kicks Heath away while the force makes me stumble back. I manage to stay on my feet and cling to him tightly, an instinct that wants to protect him doing that without my knowledge. A prick of pain seeps into my neck and I jerks my head back but Paul clings to me, his teddy bear forgotten on the floor. Panic starts to seep in when I realize this child is drinking my blood but it really starts to set in when I feel my limbs going numb and a strong sore pain throbs through my entire body. My knees give out and we tumble to the floor. "Paul!"