Chapter 3

Kara swore under her breath as she continued to work on the field, digging out rocks and sticks that may break the weed whacker that would go through once she and the others working in the field were through. A Horn blasted from the village, loud and clear, many women dropped what they were doing and rushed to the center on the village, others just paused and walked hastily. Kara growled, but followed.

A crowd was gathering around two horse mounted visitors in the center of the throng. Kara stood among the last arrivals in the back, not immediately recognizing the man. One she did, she wished she had stayed in the field upon seeing the knight.

Bowen smiled to the many elated faces surrounding him, though he was searching for one face in particular. He was answering a call form one and shaking the hand of another smoothly and politely. Hewe laughed as made it through the people to the knight's side.

"So?" The one-eyed bear questioned.

Bowen rolled his eyes with the confident smile that everyone recognized and loved, knowing full well what Hewe meant. "I haven't seen Kara yet Hewe."

Kara suddenly looked down from Bowen's searching gaze, most likely for her. Kara strode from the field with the empty water bucket, her mouth dry along with her bucket.

"Kara!"

The shout made her stop and turn, but Bowen jogging to catch up with her made her spin around and continue a little hastily.

Kara scowled as the man grew closer, a hand on her shoulder spun her around.

"What was that?" Bowen asked, Kara ignored him and tried to shove past him.

Bowen just grabbed her again, this time not letting go.

"Why are you avoiding me?" This time he held her gaze, neither able to break away.

"Me? Avoiding you?" She shot back," "Why did you just forget about me? After everything we'd been through! After..."Kara abruptly looked away, unable to make herself finish her statement, and Bowen knew full well what she meant by the sorrow in her deep green eyes and the familiar ache she invoked in his heart.

Bowen gently turned her face to meet her gaze with his sincere dark blue eyes, "Kara...I didn't forget about you, I was so distraught and...and confused afterwards that I couldn't even see anyone. I've been trying to cope along with everything else, I- I couldn't face anyone."

"I should have come to see you a long time ago, but I didn't...I couldn't. Every time I even though of heading to my stallion or even thought of you, I saw you sharing my pain and I just couldn't do that to you." Bowen admitting this, didn't come from just anywhere, Kara could truly feel how deeply Bowen had been grieving for so long..."

Those dark, blue-gray eyes she felt she could drown in asked for forgiveness and held unlimited love and compassion.

Kara bit her lip in contemplation, she really didn't need to think, but was too overcome with emotions. She suddenly dropped her bucket, needing both hands to pull Bowen's shoulders down to her level, sealing the action with a kiss. The knight stiffened slightly, then relaxed and wrapped his arms snugly around Kara's waist, pulling her to conform to his muscle toned body. Kara just hugged his neck tightly, deepening the kiss to the point of leaving them both breathless.

He was her knight.

A sharp wolf-whistle broke the two apart, the pair panting slightly, and not only Kara blushed. The villagers gathered around to watch the show cheered, a few howling or making cat calls.

"When's the wedding?" Hewe called from further away, while the rest laughed.

Bowen glanced at Hewe and pulled something out of his belt pouch into his fist, the bear waved at the people to quiet.