Chapter 16

"Put. Those. Down!"

A group of knights rode up with Lord Osric in front as he dismounted his horse. Geoff then had to open his mouth, "You heard him, put those down! Can't you see this...uh..."

"Lord Osric, chief advisor to the King, at your service...

Osric nodded respectfully and bowed low to Draco, only rising when the old male ceased growling.

"The King and I wish to express our delight in your presence, his lands are at your disposal and I am at your service, good dragon."

Draco unsteadily bowed his head back in thanks, than turned his attention in the moving pile of hay. Lord Osric also turned to the haystack, where Drake was still piled in.

"And who, may I ask is this young dragon?"

Drake growled as he twitched nervously under the hay.

Geoff cut in as Osric looked to the quivering haystack, "He's a bit shy, his name's Drake."

Osric smiled pleasantly, "I...I mean we...we're all so glad to see you, Drake. And your friend here?"

"Geoff." The stable boy introduce himself casually.

Lord Osric grinned. "An honor to make your acquaintance."

Bowen interrupted, his voice having changed to the nobleman's voice Geoff had never heard, "And the big one's Draco."

Hearing that, Lord Osric's grin vanished and his expression changed to a more serious one.

"...Draco..." He said to himself quietly, starring once more at the older dragon and nodded his head as he looked to both dragons.

"When the King saw your magnificent forms flying overhead, he requested a favor of service from you."

Drake finally spoke, the weariness hidden from his nervous voice, "M-me?"

Osric nodded. "Indeed."

Bowen glanced to Draco, as Draco's eyes were on him as well, with a slight grin that came across the dragon's lips...looks like hiding Draco and Drake wasn't going to be an issue anymore...

"He wishes to appoint you protector of the realm and Geoff here will be an adjunct protector of the realm."

And Bowen heard the six words he would really come to regret hearing from Geoff.

"Is that anything like a knight?"

Draco was the only one who saw the faint gleam in Osric's eyes go brighter, "A small step below."

Geoff seemed to perk up as Drake continued to shift in the hay, still a little nervous. Geoff glancing around and seeing Mansel weaving in and out of villagers.

"Also, if not at least request your attendance of the banquet this evening, for your presence will most enjoyed. Geoff and Sir Bowen are also invited for the festivities this evening." Lord Osric added.

"As you see, I was right milord."

Osric turned to see the 'foreigners' had suddenly appeared, making Bowen watch Geoff's for once impassive face.

"You two again?" Lord Osric scoffed in disbelief. "I thought you would be intelligent enough to heed my advice and leave our kingdom...Guards!"

"No!"

Bowen was surprised to hear Geoff speak up.

"These are my friends."

So that's why the knights were chasing him earlier. Bowen thought to himself. Draco was also staring at the young teen, possibly thinking the same thing.