Chapter 22

Geoff stepped into Osric's study as the nobleman was dealing with the Miller and a farmer.

"You can call him "Protector of the Realm," BUT HE DESTROYED MY MILL!"

"He can go 'round plucking off cows and flying off with them!"

Lord Osric nodded, not even giving the peasants a glance as he looked over his charts."I can see you're both very distressed, I'm glad you came directly to me about this." He throws two little pouches of gold at them, "Fix your mill, Buy yourself a new cow, and remember those dragons are the last of a magnificent race, He and Draco deserve our utmost respect aye?"

The two peasants left as Osric patted their shoulders on their way out.

The Miller glared at Geoff, "Dragon lover." He sneered, leaving the study with the farmer.

"Peasants...pay them no bother lad, small minds see what they wish and require guidance to understand the truth." Osric motioned for Geoff to come in further as he picked up some papers and Geoff looked over his vials and beakers.

"Now, let us go outside and see Drake, so you can both tell me what really happened at the mill, hmm?"

Geoff hesitated for a moment before explaining. "Drake didn't want to come, he's too embarrassed, Kwan tried to teach him to blow fire, but it came out the other end."

Osric's face minutely fell but then was quickly covered with a smile. "You left him with Kwan?"

"No, actually now he's back at the monastery with Draco."

"And what interest does that old male have in Drake?" Osric asked distractedly as he looked through the papers.

"Well Draco's is his father after all."

Osric became still, eyes widened. Surprise and faint horror shown in his eyes..."Oh?"

Osric turned back to his desk, lost in thought.

Geoff added something else a moment later, "Draco's mainly just watching these lessons, he’d demonstrated fire breathing earlier, but Kwan's doing the teaching."

"Geoff, besides breathing fire...what else does Kwan plan on teaching Drake?" Osric asked and handed Stefan some lists.

"I don't know exactly...something about...all the ancient wisdom of the dragons I think."

Osric dropped his voice so only Sir Stephen could hear, "Bring the old man to me at once."

"Yes Milord, it shall be done." Stefan said firmly, as he turned to leave.

"Geoff?"

"Yes?"

"Come with me."

Osric led Geoff to a private chamber filled with weapon racks, the castle armory Geoff realized when the racks of full armor had a few rows missing. Osric turned to see the teen examining the leather and metal studded suits.

"Any plans for this evening Geoff?" Osric called from another row of weapons as he searched for something in particular.

"Not really..."

Osric let out a soft "Ah!" as he removed a sword from the rack, heading back to Geoff who was looking at the Knight Coat of Arms shields, the vibrantly painted and decorated symbols.

"You're life dream is to be a knight is it now?"

"Yes it is."

Osric smiled, "Well, to get there you're not only going to need tutoring, you're going to need the right tools to do so at your disposal."