Chapter Eight- Anniversary

(Leo's POV)
06.02.22
I was meaning to tell you that it actually was me that ate your cereal. I'm sorry.
-Leo
~~
June 2nd arrived-our anniversary. And we all slept in until after eleven.

I woke up first, and Donnie was facing away from me, but had his back pressed against my front for warmth.

I stepped out of the room and called for Raph. I had a favor to ask.

His voice was sluggish when he answered his bedroom door. "Yeah?" I could see Mikey sprawled out across the bed, empty candy bags around him.

"Raph. You awake enough for a conversation?"

"What do you think, genius? What's up?"
"I have a favor to ask." I said slowly, looking down.

"What's on your mind, bro?"

"Could you watch the kids, just for tonight? Like.. take them home from the amusement park.. um... Me and Donnie's anniversary is today and I want to do an overnight thing.."
"Ah.. say no more, Leo. We owe ya anyway."

"Thanks." I smiled brightly, but he didn't see that because I was just doing it in my head.

"Is everything okay between you two? I gotta say I've been a little worried about you and Dee recently.."

"We're fine. Thanks for asking.." I shrugged, thinking back to Donnie's cuts, the several times I'd been with Karai in the past week... and how much we'd been arguing.
~~
I got back in bed, brushing my hand down his arm, lightly tracing over his cut wrist. He cried himself to sleep the night before, and I tried to calm him, but it was no use. He was inconsolable.

I had to make this day an enjoyable one. I couldn't let him die.. I mean.. if Donnie ever died- I don't know what I'd do. I need him. He takes care of me...

I wouldn't expect you to understand that. You're new around here, but he was the first person I slept next to that didn't run away. He wasn't afraid of me.. he loved me.

He stirred, eyes fluttering open, then stared up at me for a moment, but said nothing, rolling over again.
"Donnie.. it's almost twelve. Want to go out for lunch?"
He shook his head.
"You need to eat something. Can I bring you something, then?"
He shook his head again.

For a moment I thought abut admitting him into a hospital. He wasn't well, mentally. But that'd probably make him worse.

I leaned in and kissed his cheek. "Do you know what today is..?"
"Y-yeah..." Donnie finally spoke, sniffing.
"Good, because I've got an amazing evening planned for the two of us. You're going to love it.." I pulled him up. "Come, you need a bath. I'll help you."
He hesitated, but let me undress him and help him into the bathtub. I carefully washed him, eyes down. "We don't have to talk about this, but I want today to be enjoyable, okay?"

"Okay.." He washed his face. He asked me to bring the carryout to him from last night and he ate that for some reason. I didn't understand it, but we shared.
~~
Instead of renting two cars like normal people, with two different families, my brother came up with the wild idea of renting an SUV. 8 seats in total. Raph and Mikey sat up front, Andrew, Teresa, and Sophie were in the middle (somehow we got three car seats in one row; which involved a lot of cursing from Raph), and me and Donnie had to sit in the very back, so close our knees touched and my head wasn't too far from the ceiling. Raph smirked at me through the rearview mirror. "Cozy back there, kids?"
"Shut up."
He just laughed and backed out of the parking lot.