Chapter Fourteen- Hurry

So I have a question.

What?

I was wondering if you were ever going to tell me about your new girlfriend being pregnant.

That's a statement, not a question.

Shut up.

She's not really my girlfriend and you didn't need to know this.

I thought we were going to work this out. You remember?

I know but.. it's just... not ideal right now.

When was it ever ideal? I'm trying to understand you, Leo, but it's really hard to. I was never good enough for you, I wasn't a trophy wife person, but I was your security blanket that you don't want anyone to see. Right?

More or less.

~~
(Donnie's POV)
The morning after we fought over the phone, I woke up to the bell ringing. It was early still, and I couldn't imagine who'd be here.

I went downstairs, tying my robe as I answered. This delivery guy was at the door with a humungous bouquet of flowers. I took it from him, looking for a note, and there was one.
"Who's this from?"

"I don't know, man, I'm just the delivery guy."

So I closed the door and found a vase big enough for these flowers. Then I read the note.

I noticed you from across the room, but your eyes were on someone else. I'd like to meet up with you sometime soon.
-an admirer

I frowned. Was this just some sick prank from Leo? But no, this was written by hand, and it wasn't Leo's. I knew how he wrote his notes, and this wasn't it. But maybe he made someone else do it just to get my hopes up.

They were beautiful though, and I decided to keep them. Who in their right mind would like me? Well, I had lost weight over the summer, gotten a different haircut and wardrobe. Maybe I was becoming more noticeable.

Shrugging, I opened my laptop to do some more job searching before Teresa woke up. Maybe I could work at the university too.. I had a degree in engineering. Couldn't I help in that program?

Well, I decided if I was hired it would just be a temporary thing, like a trial run for the rest of the year, and see what happens.

Leo would be coming back here soon. He had to, his students loved him. Even after they graduated, some of them would come back just to say hi. He really left an impact on them, and I know he enjoyed his job. He wouldn't just leave.

I went to his secretary and we had a lengthy discussion about jobs and whatnot. She told me she'd go ask someone, and for me to wait. I sat in one of the big, fluffy chairs and did just that.

Teresa looked around excitedly. "We see Daddy!" She somehow remembered him working here, and me and her in the past coming to visit him during his lunch hour. She thought we were seeing him today.
"No, not today.. he's not here."

"Why?"

"He's with your brother right now, okay? He'll be back tomorrow."

The dean of the school wanted to see me. He said he could find me a job there but it wouldn't be of my best interest. He said two people who are married or recently separated shouldn't work in the same building, and since Leo had been there longer, I needed to wait.

That totally wasn't fair.

I was so angry about the situation that finally I completely snapped. While Teresa was taking her afternoon nap, I went into the garage where Leo's car had been parked for 3 months. Swinging my lucky baseball bat around Negan-style, I struck the windshield until it shattered into a million pieces. Right away, the alarm went off.
"Shut up.. shut up..." I groaned, looking for the right plug to pull to get this thing quiet. Luckily, I found it.