Chapter Twenty Five-Christmas

(Donnie's POV)
Can't believe you bailed on us. I had plans for Christmas!

You didn't even put up a tree. I had to make things right with Mikey. Sorry... this snow is too heavy for me to possibly drive home tonight. But I'll try to be home tomorrow.

Whatever.

Can you try to come Christmas Day?

Honestly, I don't know. I can barely see the street.
~~
Mikey helped me type out that apology on the day of Christmas Eve, as a record setting snow fell from the sky. It was lighter in the afternoon, and shortly after it seemed to have completely stopped. However, all the main roads were blocked off.

"So.. I guess it'll be cleared up on the 26th? More snow is coming tomorrow." Raph was seated on the leather sectional couch, his young daughter on his lap, dozing off. "You are more than welcome to stay with us until then."

I sighed quietly, staring out the window. I just wanted to be home. It was getting late...
Leo and I spent almost all the Christmases over the past decade together and he always made sure the night before was special for all of us by surprising us with some sort of new gadget, saying of course it was from Santa Clause.

But now I would practically be spending Christmas alone. While Raph and Mikey could enjoy it with their baby, my little ones would probably be very upset that I couldn't be there and hate me for the rest of their lives. I'd caused so much instability for them, and now I was only making it far, far worse.

Mikey noticed my glum expression, and after exchanging a look with Raph followed by a nod, he spoke up. "Hey Dee, why don't you call him?"

I shook my head. I didn't want to talk to him, and he probably didn't want to talk to me. That'd only make me feel worse about myself. Besides, I couldn't even speak half the things going on in mind.

Mikey grinned, yet didn't speak, and I felt him trying to sneak up behind me. Yeah, as if he could actually scare me.

"Nice try, Mikey, but you not—" I realized that Mikey wouldn't slip his arms around my waist and rest his head on my shoulder...
I bit my lip, hands clamming up and knees wobbling as I choked out a hello. Leo's unexplained "Christmas Eve cologne" filling my lungs. You jerk. I hate you so much you son of a—
Mikey chuckled from the couch, rolling his eyes slightly. "You're both pathetic."

I blushed furiously, hiding a smile by pressing my lips together. "You are an idiot."
"I know.. driving through a snowstorm wasn't the best idea but apparently and according to my brother helicopter rides are a better option..." Leo hadn't let go yet, still waiting for me to turn around. "I didn't want to spend Christmas without you."

Here comes those ridiculous, unneeded tears that liked to appear every few hours for me. I scoffed, beginning to turn. "I hate you."
"Yeah right.." Leo gave me a teasing smirk upon our eyes meeting. I hugged him extremely tight, pressing my face in his shoulder, still in my pjs from the day before, and not even caring. He braved a snowstorm to come and see me. That had to mean something.

"I uh.. packed an outfit for you, because I'm sure you need a changing of clothes." He said a bit awkwardly, suddenly averting my eyes.
My heart was pounding in my chest, and my breathing quickened. This man. Was going to be. The death of me. But as we were both in a room with several other people, it wasn't best to express any romantic emotions just yet...
~~
(Narrator's POV)
Long after everyone had gone to bed, Donnie was perched on the edge of the couch, staring into the fire with a sullen expression on his face. Perhaps Mikey was right about Donnie being desperate for love. Why did his happiness depend on a man? Why couldn't he make himself happy?
And why was he so dependent on another person, when he was probably able to take care of himself? He drove to Seattle by himself.