Chapter Thirty Nine- Free

(Donnie's POV)
The penthouse was terribly quiet the next morning, since my son was gone and Mikey had already left for the day, taking the baby with him. But as it was a Sunday, Raph's only day off, he happened to be home. And neither of us really knew what to as we never bonded in the past. Sure we got along, he was my brother in law and everything, but we never got to know each other. We were very different and believe it or not, Raph could be kind of shy.

I poured myself a bowl of cereal and sat down in the living room where he was typing on his laptop. "Hey Donnie," he murmured, seemingly very busy.
"Hey. What are you doing?" I peeked over at the screen. "Is that.. pinball?"
"I'm bored okay? I prefer being at work. At least I have something to do." Raph closed the laptop, leaning back. "I never do anything on my day off, Mike's never home, he makes sure of that."
I nodded, putting my bowl down. "Can't say I relate, but.. Leo would come home and just sleep all weekend. It was like hell trying to get him out of bed."

"Mikey's the same way! He stays up all night and sleeps all day. Yeah, he comes to family functions but he complains the whole time, making me look bad. I don't know what to do." Raph stood up and walked to the big windows, staring out. "I'm pretty lonely these days. Only Sophie seems to like me."

Okay, that I could relate to.
"Raph.. let's.. go out and do something. We could both use some fresh air. Don't you think?"
He hesitated, but eventually said yes.

I went back to my bedroom to get dressed as I couldn't possibly go outside in my boxers and a baggy teeshirt. The problem is, it was already 85 degrees outside, so I'd have to wear shorts and a teeshirt. I worried about my wrist scar for a moment, but reminded myself I could cover it up with a bracelet or watch. No one would notice. I took a Xanax just in case my nerves decided to freak out, then slipped on the thin, white teeshirt, buttonless shorts and sandals. I didn't look too bad, though the bags under my eyes from lack of sleep were pretty noticeable. Oh well.

Raph was dressed in probably the most expensive summer outfit in the entire universe and looked 400x better than me. Really helping my self esteem :)

"So where do you want to go?" He pushed the button on the elevator and stepped inside.
"Wherever... you pick."

"Well that's a first. Would you mind if we stopped for a proper breakfast? You didn't get to finish your cereal, so.."
"That'd be great, Raph. As long as you order for me."

Raph and I went to a little restaurant and we actually talked. He opened up to me and said that Mikey is gone most nights of the week and insists on sleeping alone. He hates having any sort of restriction and always wants to go out to bars and party, which Raph can't stand. Raph wants a more settled down life where he can raise his daughter with good influences and peaceful surroundings.
He also said he can't stand how Mikey treats his brother and wants to say something but doesn't know how to put it without getting slapped. (Yes, Mikey slapped him from time to time.)

"How terrible..." I'd said. I told him to leave Mikey if it really was that bad. I could see my brother was definitely at least verbally abusing Raph whenever he got the chance. I knew how that felt, and I didn't want him to continue going through that.

"You will feel better if you leave him, Raph." I said quietly as I got back into the car. We were going to be visiting two more locations before the end of the day.
"I don't think you understand how hard that would be for me to do. I'd lose my daughter. I'd lose the only family I have, I'd lose half my money and half my cars and my life more or less. I'm waiting for him to start this.. because I don't want to do it."
"Then let me talk to Mike.. maybe I can help?"
"It's no use. It's like talking to a wall."