Chapter Seventeen- Say A Word

(Narrator's POV)
Another week passed. Donnie still wouldn't talk but his eyes started to focus on things and he seemed to be slowly processing the information around him. Whenever Leo left the room, Donnie's eyes followed him and he'd grip onto the blanket. He wouldn't turn his head or anything else. His eyes and hands were the only active parts.

Leo was at that hospital every single day, never missing a moment. What if Donnie finally spoke? What if he sat up? He had to be there if and when it would happen. He was eternally thankful he never unplugged his machines. He knew he would wake up sometime. The only problem was, things were not the same with Donnie and no one had any idea the extent of his brain damage.

It was mid October now, and Leo had just gotten off of work, the conversation he had with one of the psych teachers still fresh in his mind. "If he can't speak, find another way for him to communicate with you."

And what did Donnie do a lot of? Blinking. Maybe it was stupid, but Leo needed to talk to him. He was tired of one sided conversations.

So he arrived at the hospital and sat down by the bed, wearing a bright blue shirt for a change to help keep Donnie's attention. "Hi Donnie.."
Make sure to say his name so he knows you're talking to him.

Donnie's eyes traveled over to him and seemed to light up a little. He was listening. Leo took his hand, glad that it was held. Donnie had given Leo his full attention.

"I've got an idea. I know you are having a hard time speaking right now, and that's okay. Once you build up your strength I'll find a good physical therapist to help you speak again. In the mean time, let's make our own little code. I hope this will work. If it doesn't, I'm an idiot." Leo rambled on for a moment. "Anyway, blink twice in a row to answer a question as yes, and blink once to answer as no. You got it?"

Two blinks. Yes.

"Excellent.." Leo took his hands, smiling slightly. "Do you know what happened, and do you understand why you are here?"

Two quick blinks. Donnie tiredly put a hand over his heart.

"It's October now. You were asleep for four weeks. You know who I am right?"

Donatello rolled his eyes, tiny smirk on his face. Of course. He brushed his finger across Leo's wedding ring.

"Okay.. did you like the pictures I showed you?"

One blink. No.

Leo frowned and held up a picture of Donnie sleeping. "Oh come on, I think you look adorable in this one."

He glared at him, turning his head slightly. Blinking once. No I don't.

"Okay, okay." Leo tucked the picture away. "I'm keeping it though."

Donnie hid a smile and stuck up his middle finger, pretending to be innocent.

Leonardo grinned, pushing his finger back down. "Behave yourself and listen to my dumb questions and you'll be home soon enough."

A soft sigh.

"Do you have any feeling in your arms and legs?"

Two blinks.. almost a slight nod.

"Can you show me?"

One blink. Nah... I'm lazy.

One of the nurses brought in Donnie's dinner, and Leo took the bowl. It didn't look very appetizing. I wouldn't eat it, he thought.