24 - Little Sister

Katie's POV

"Where are we going?" I ask, running down the stairs.

"Somewhere in the park." He grins, pulling my wrist.

"Bye Lovebirds!" Rob yells.

"By-"

Nick closes the door and runs towards his car. I rolled my eyes. He opened the door for me, and closed it after I got in. 

"You should've let me finished saying goodbye to Rob." 

"You'll still see him." He argues, cracking up a bit.

"Thats news." I rolled my eyes.

*

"Why are we here anyway?" 

"I'm just planning to take you somewhere sweet." He starts, before lying down the field.

"Should I lie down too?" I ask. He nods.

"Thats better." He grins. 

The wind blew softly, I watched as the clouds go round and round. I watched as the leaves fell. It was really silent. It was amicable. It's really sweet of him to bring me here and watch as the things around us move. It's like he's saying something that reminds me of a song. . .

"If I lay here. . ."  He starts.

"If I just lay here. . ." I continue.

"Would you lie with me. . ." 

"And just forget the world." We sang in unison. 

We stared into each other's eyes. I felt like I can see everything in him. It's like I can read his mind. His eyes read impartiality, seriousness and truth. I know that he's the one. I think I know everything that will happen in the future, but a part of me thinks that he's just another summer fling. I don't really know what to believe anymore. My sight focused on his face. His features. His gorgeous features, my inner voice says. I internally snapped at it, and I'm actually wondering if it is possible. 

"Katie. . . there's something I haven't told you." 

My chest tightens. "What is it about?"

He sits up. "It's about my sister. . ."

"Leila? What's wrong?" 

"No, no, no. Not Leila. It's another sister before Leila. . ." He explains, calmly.

I sit up as well. "Who is this then?" 

"Her name is Margaret. She's two years older than Leila. . . There was t-this tragedy. . ." His voice breaks.

I push myself an inch closer to him. "It's okay. Let it out. . . What happened to her?"

"She had lung cancer. . . She didn't make it. She tried but her life was taken. . ." His eyes becomes teary.

"I'm sorry." I whisper. "I really am."

He nods, battling the tears away. "Leila doesn't know any of this. She was an infant when that happened." 

"Come here." I say, wrapping my arms around him. "Thank you for telling me this, I'm sorry for your loss. I know that you loved Margaret as much as you love Leila." 

He smiles. "This is why I love you. You're supportive. You always look on the bright side. You never fail to make me smile." 

"I'll take that as a compliment, so yeah. . . Thanks." I say, blushing.

"Mrs. Tomato is back." He chuckles, lightly.

"Yeah, and Mr. Dimplepants is also back." I poke his dimple.

"Ow." 

"It does not hurt." I warned.

"Okay. Whatever you say." He grins.

*

"Where are we going, Nick? We missed our turn."

"I want you to meet someone. Don't worry, I know where it is." He smiles, not even taking his eyes off the road.

I nod, "Okay. I'll wait patiently." 

*

"Here we are." He sighs, opening the door next to me.

"I've never been here. . ." 

"That's good. She hasn't seen you either." He smiles sadly.

She? Who is she? Courtney? No, I guess not. Oh maybe it's his sister that we were talking about an hour ago. . . 

*

He kneels down on the grass. He stares at Margaret's grave. He breathes heavily. "Hi Marg. I haven't been here that much. I'm sorry. I've been busy, and I'm here to see you."

My heart falls. I took all over his time. I was the reason why he hasn't visited Margaret. He continues talking to his sister in heaven, He tells her how happy he is right now, what happened after all these time. He stops, and looks up to me.

"Marg, I want you to meet Katie. She's my girlfriend. It's a shame you didn't meet her before you passed away. . ." He intertwines his hands with mine.

"Hello Margaret. As your brother said, I'm Katie. I already met your parents and Leila. I'm sorry if I took your brother's visiting time. I didn't know about this. He just told me an hour ago. . . It's a pleasure to meet you. I hope you're having fun right now. Your brother is really the best." My tears started  prickling my eyes.

"Wish you were still here, Marg. We miss you so much." Nick says, with a sad smile.