1 - Leaving New Jersey

Katie's POV

I tap my phone screen, angrily. My breath hitches every time the damn bird jumps over the tunnels. One jump left until I get a new high score. You can do it, Katie. One more tunnel to go. I tap my screen carefully and the bird hits its beak on the green tunnel. I throw my phone across the bed.

I grunt, “I hate this game.”

I stare at my phone; my hands are itching for me to play it again. I sigh; I guess I could do another try. I grab my phone and start playing once again. I move to the right as I balance the jumping flappy bird. The more you move the phone, the more you gain points. I feel the urge to jump whenever the bird jumps over a tunnel. The annoying thing on my phone dies. It didn’t even touch the green tunnel! Why did it die?

“That’s it.” I mumble, exiting the game. “No more flappy bird for me.”

“Katie! It’s time to go!” I hear my mom shout.

I get up my bed to look at the mirror. I stare at my now-wrinkled shirt, I hope mom wouldn’t notice. I grab my backpack and another box on my way down. Where are we going? I don’t remember its name; all I remember is a family vacation. Yay, this is so exciting. The excitement is exploding on my face.

I see my brother, Rob, by the end of the stairs. He’s tapping his fingers on his phone. I call him. He looks at me. “What?”

“Can you help me with this box?” I ask, nicely.

He grins. “I don’t see why not.”

“Thanks.” I smile.

“I was kidding. I’m too lazy to help.” He says.

I roll my eyes. “Whatever. Just close the door after you.”

That’s Rob for you. I sometimes find myself thinking if he’s got a multiple personality disorder. One minute, he’s nice and lovable. . . . And in a few moments, he gets very annoying. Is that how brothers treat their sisters or Rob has a problem? Whatever, I’m not wasting my time thinking about it.

“Sure.” He replies.

I get inside the car, putting the box on my lap. I opened my backpack to look for my earphones. I mutter a few words, and my mom, who sits on the passenger seat, looks at me before asking if there’s something wrong. I let my face fall on my hands.

“I think I left my earphones in my room.”

She shakes her head. “Do it fast, Katie.”

I nod, putting the box on my seat. Rob chuckles, “You know, you should’ve put it on the trunk.”

“Mind your own business, Rob.” I roll my eyes before running towards the house.

I twist the doorknob. It wouldn’t budge. I turn around, walk back and ask dad for the keys. Rob laughs at me, as if it was the most humorous thing in the world. Dad hands me the keys and I start walking towards the house. It took me two minutes to open the door. I mean, dad handed me a small keychain with four keys and I had to try them all since I have no idea which is which.

I left the door open and run through the stairs. If my mom was here with me, she’d probably give me a lecture about running up and down the stairs. Good thing she wasn’t.

I find my earphones lying on the wooden floor. I roll my eyes and grab it. Great, now it’s tangled into a hundred knots – Okay, maybe five. I like exaggerating things.