Chapter Thirty

Courtney's POV

Rowena holds my hand to steady me as I slip out of the bed, and I try my very best not to wince at the constant pain on my back. "Thank you." I smile brightly.

She bows her head a little. "Always, Your Highness." She takes me back to my room, supporting me with her shoulders. 

"Thank you so much," I murmur. Looking around to make sure nobody is around, I fish out the bag of change that Daniel gave to me back at Newglade and hold it out to Rowena. "Give this to your family. I have a feeling they really need it."

Her dark eyes look into mine, glossing over ever so slightly. "I cannot accept this..."

"Of course you can." I give her a warm smile. "I have no use for it. Besides, you have worked tirelessly to make sure we're all alive and well. This is the very least I can do." I open her hand and press the money into her empty palm. 

She takes my hand and kisses it softly. "Your Highness." She smiles gratefully before walking away. 

Shaking my head, I smile to myself, opening the door to my room. Jordan is sitting on my bed, turning over a picture of me as a kid in his hand. Once he spots me in the doorway, he places it back on the bedside table quickly and runs over to embrace me in a tight hug. He then picks me up and twirls me around. "I didn't know if you would make it."

I giggle lightly as he sets me back down on the floor. "I really missed you," I respond genuinely, smiling brightly.

Jordan grins and kisses me softly, and I return it with the same slow speed.

"I love you," he whispers, before pulling me right inside. His lips start moving against mine passionately, his hands on my waist. I smile and grab the back of his hair, deepening the kiss. 

Pulling away slowly, I look into his eyes before my fingers fumble at the buttons of his shirt as his lips start suck down my jaw, my neck, the hollow of my throat. "What are we even doing?" My lips part slightly, and I tilt my head back to give him more room. 

"Celebrating."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"These scratches are pretty bad," Jordan whispers, his fingers tracing the cuts on my back without touching them, but I can still feel tingles surging through my body. 

"Oh, so you just finish doing the deed, and that's the first thing that comes out of your mouth?" I joke, kissing his nose. "You're so charming."

He chuckles lightly and runs his fingers through my hair, sighing out. "Are you ever going to tell me what exactly happened?" he mutters. 

I shrug, focusing my gaze on anywhere but him. "I can do it now if you like..."

He tilts my cheek gently, compelling me to look into his eyes. "Only if you want to."

Nodding, I breathe out slowly. "I was talking to his stepbrother, Daniel, in my room. He came to Foxien for Isla's birthday and that's where I first met him. He-" I hesitate before continuing. "He kissed me, but I stopped it immediately. I told him that I was betrothed to Nolan, and he understood."

"Then Nolan came by. I don't know, he seemed a little tense. Once he got me out of the room, he started acting roughly. First grabbing my wrist really tightly, then kissing me as though the world was going to end if he didn't. As soon as we got to his room, well, all hell broke loose. I told him no, very, very strictly. He said okay, then gets out this knife and..." I desperately try to hold back a sob.