Chapter Eleven

Courtney's POV

I hand the driver the money and climb out of the taxi. I don't know my way around Maize as well as I do around Amethyst, and even in the afternoon, it's a little dark. Without thinking, I walk straight into an alleyway nearby.

I tighten my cloak over my body out of self-consciousness as I feel the stares of men and women, young and old. The thought of Jordan, or anyone for that matter, living in a place like this just baffles me.

I let out an almost-silent sigh of relief when I see that I'm approaching the end. I can finally get out of here.

"Evelyn Mare."

I turn around quickly to see a young woman around my age with dark brown hair pulled back in a tight ponytail and striking blue eyes. Her head is tilted, and she smiles at me in a way which sends off alarms in my head.

"Hello, um, do I know you?" I reply, trying not to stutter as I let go of the small suitcase in hand.

"Mia Elliot? From high school. Oh come on, don't tell me you don't remember me." She sends me a smirk, and I shake my head slowly, terrified. "Maybe this'll jog your memory." Mia leans in and kisses me forcibly, and I can taste the alcohol on her lips.

I pull away immediately. "No, I don't remember you. Look, I'm in a rush."

She pouts coyly. "Oh come on. I just want to play." Our eyes meet, and I immediately feel uncomfortable.

"I really should g-"

I'm interrupted as Mia pushes me against the hard cold wall and pulls out a knife from the back pocket of her jeans. I flinch, and she giggles shrilly.

"Don't worry, it's not going to hurt. Much."

I look to the other people in the alleyway desperately, but they all crowd around us, laughing or grinning.

"Hey! Leave her alone!"

All of our heads turn, and we see Jordan standing there, arms folded. I desperately resist the urge to run up and hug him.

Everyone just laughs, the loudest being Mia. "Look who's here. The princess's fucktoy." The words roll off her tongue in amusement, and she sports a cruel smirk.

I don't say a thing. Fucktoy? I ask myself, frowning slightly.

Jordan looks uncomfortable too, but he doesn't change his stance. "Just give me the girl, and I'll leave you in peace."

Mia looks at me, snarling playfully, which makes me hitch my breath. "Pity. We were just getting started with her." She pushes me towards Jordan, and I can't help but grab his arm tightly. He locks eyes with her for a few seconds before walking away from the alleyway with me.

"Are you alright, Ms Mare?" he questions as we weave through the crowd. I nod uneasily.

"Thank you," I whisper, looking up at him.

"Any time. What were you even doing in there? It's no place for a young girl, or anyone, for that matter."

"I was lost. Trying to get to a friend's," I respond. It's not lying, I was lost and I'm trying to get to a friend's place. Or whatever Jordan is to me.

"Well, you're lucky I was around then," he says with a sigh.

"Yeah, really lucky." I cock an eyebrow in curiosity. "What did they mean by 'the princess's fucktoy'?" I couldn't help but ask.

He chuckles. "Dirty mouth, eh? Well, I work at the palace in Amethyst. I'm the princess's tutor and close friend. We spend a lot of time together, and because of that, people assume we've done things."

"And have you?" I can't resist but blurt. "Done things, I mean."

Respectively, Jordan shakes his head. "Nothing at all. I am below her in status and caste, and I wouldn't ruin her strong reputation for anything."

"Well, I'm glad you're not blabbing about what we do to random strangers." I kiss his cheek and smile gently.

Jordan widens his eyes as realization dawns upon him. "What the hell are you doing here? I could've lost you back there!"

"Calm down. My mother and the real Evelyn Mare know I'm doing this. But I really need somewhere to stay and you were the first person I thought of so..."

"Yes, of course I'll let you stay with me." We arrive at a large three story hotel of some sort. "But I'd really like to know why you're doing this." He opens the door and lets me enter first before guiding me up to the second floor. "First room on the right is mine. My mom's right next door."

"Why does she live in a hotel? No offense or anything."

"None taken. My parents are in charge of this place. They wanted to give it to me to inherit, but once I got the job at the palace they decided against it. It's closing down once they pass away."

I widen my mouth slightly. "That's horrible."

"Tell me about it." Jordan sits down on the bed, patting the space next to him. "They're seeing if they can get my sister to come back from Iceglow to take care of it, but she's probably ignoring all of the messages and calls. She doesn't have the hologram function installed on her phone, so she can't receive Holo-Messages."

"Sounds pretty bad." I sit beside him and stare into the distance.

"Enough about me. What happened with you? Why are you here?"

I open my mouth to say something, but close it immediately.

"Is something up?"

"You know what, I'm really tired. Mind if I take a nap?" I ask quickly. He sighs, but nods anyway, pulling a blanket over me after I've laid down.

"Sweet dreams, princess."

A/N

Does anyone here ship them? Kinda feeling like we're the only ones.

Nah actually Archer and Evelyn are much better, but whatever ahah

- Zalie :3