Chapter Thirty One

Evelyn's POV

As soon as I arrive at my destination, I make my way backstage, where I assume the royal family will be. Sure enough, Archer is in the corner, in conversation one of the servants.

"May I talk to you privately?" I whisper into Archer's ear.

"Of course." He waves the man away with a single flick of his hand and kisses mine before leading me away. "What is it, darling?"

I try not to show a reaction to the nickname. "Yesterday, I, um, well I saw Piper and Isla together."

"As you would. They're close friends." He arches an eyebrow. "Where is this going?"

"Well, um, I'm just going to say they're more than friends. I caught them kissing..."

"Really? Yessss!" he suddenly exclaims, and I'm taken aback.

"I expected you to be more shocked. Not because they're both girls, but because you didn't know." I giggle lightly.

He grins at me. "Courtney and I have been shipping them for a really long time. And now that they're together, well, I'm definitely fanboying."

I laugh. "Anyway, adding onto that.." I bite my lip. "You know how you can pass bills as soon as you're coronated?"

He nods, and I continue.

"Well, I was hoping you could... legalize gay marriage. You know, for your sister."

Archer smiles brightly at me. "That's a terrific idea," he comments. "I'll see what I can do." 

I nod and instinctively kiss his cheek. "Thank you." Before I can walk away, he takes my hand, forcing me to look into his eyes. 

"Stay safe, sweetheart," he murmurs, and I have the urge to slap him right across the face. 

"Thanks." I pull away quickly and make my way to the countless people who have gathered for his coronation. Of course, many more citizens are watching the livestream on their HoverScreens. 

I look to my left to see Jordan and Courtney slipping in, late of course. The princess's blonde hair is done in an elaborate braid that has been twisted into a bun, and she wears an amethyst gown that accentuates her curves well. It's fairly modest, the skirt going down to her feet and the sleeves ending at her wrists, probably to hide her injuries. The only part that's exposed is just above her chest and up, of course, and it moves in and out with every breath she takes. 

She pecks her tutor's lips before leaving him and going backstage, and Jordan takes the seat behind me. "How is she?" I ask him.

"Good," he replies with a soft smile. "She's opening up about what happened."

I nod, smiling back. "That's great." I notice that most of the crowd has gone quiet, and my attention turns to the stage. Archer and his family stand there, with him at the front, and all five have put on smiles for their province to see. My eyes flicker towards Jordan, who seems completely mesmerized by his girlfriend's beauty, his lips parted ever so slightly and his eyes shining with adoration.

A large and beautiful throne sits in the middle, right behind the prince. His father walks towards him from the front, a crown identical to his own in his possession. The king utters a few statements in Latin, but I can only pick out the words gold, prince, king and crown. Archer drops to one knee, as though he's going to propose to someone. His eyes are cast down on the ground, though.

Slowly, as if it's a delicate flower, King Alastair places the crown on Archer's blonde head. "His Majesty, King Archer of Foxien!"

The crowd cheers, whistles and claps for their new king, and I smile brightly as I join them. Archer then rises to his feet, flashing his father a small smile before sitting down in the large throne. A wave of silence washes over the audience, and he fishes out a crushed piece of paper from his pocket, nearly dropping it.