Chapter Two

Evelyn's POV

"Are you done yet? You've been in there for hours!" I yell, banging my fist against the door.

"Five more minutes!" Cerise screeches back, and I roll my eyes.

"I'm going to freaking Amethyst! It's so far away and there are only ten minutes until the buses leave," I plead, and the hairdryer switches off.

"Fine." Cerise walks out of the bathroom, tossing her vibrant red tresses over her shoulder in order to whip me in the face.

Long story short; Cerise Maxwell hates me. Not because I've done anything in particular, but because she's jealous of me. Not to boast or anything, but it's only been four months at this university and I'm at the very top of every class, the favourite of every professor, head of the most popular sorority, Kappa Delta, etcetera. She's always second best, and to be honest, I think she should be in my place. I'm actually quite clumsy, and I don't even know how I can walk in heels in general, let alone on a freaking runway.

Once I've finished getting ready, I sling my Prada handbag over my shoulder and walk out of the room. Even though it's January, one of the coldest times of the year, I still have to wear a sleeveless dress. But hey, anything for royalty.

I get onto the bus, only to see everyone else already there. A smile spreads across my face when I see that Lillie and Rianna, my best friends, have both saved me a seat between them, where I usually sit.

"Cerise keeping you back again?" the brunette asks as she toys with her charm necklace, a silver R hanging off of it.

"Duh. I swear to God, she's doing it on purpose," I reply with another roll of my eyes.

"You can always tell the Dean. She could move you to ano-"

"No." Lillie takes the words right out of my mouth, surprising both Rianna and I. "We're here to conquer our fears and challenges, not hide away from them. Become her friend, Ev, not her enemy."

In the corner of my eye, I see Rianna roll her own, but I don't comment on it. Before I can reply to Lillie, the bus comes to a halt.

"Follow me in a single file line, ladies!" Summer, the woman in charge of our sorority, and we do as we're told. Lillie, Rianna and I stay at the back, mainly because we can talk about whatever we like.

"I hope we get to meet Princess Courtney. You look just like her!" Rianna gushes, looking pointedly at me.

I let out a small laugh. "Yeah, because I haven't been told that a bajillion times."

"No, but seriously. When my mom sees one of your photoshoot pictures on a bus or something, she always thinks it's the princess and goes 'Oh my God'. Then I have to remind her that it's just you," Rianna explains with a grin, and the rest of us burst into laughter.

"You know who I really want to meet? Prince Archer." Lillie winks at me, and I roll my eyes. "Don't try to deny it, Ev, we both know you like him."

"Wouldn't it be awkward if Evelyn finally got his hands on him and he thought he was screwing his own stepsister?" Rianna giggles, and I push her playfully, trying my best to hide my blush.

"Shut up, An," I snap. I can stop the blush, but I can't stop the smile that creeps upon my face.

"Ooooh," they tease, which results in me sticking my tongue out at them both.

"Ladies! ID please," Summer scolds, scaring the three of us.

"Evelyn Mare," I state, fumbling for my ID card and handing it to the guard who stands outside the door to the preparation room. He glances from me to the card before nodding, giving it back to me and opening the door.

"Rianna James," I hear An say as I take a seat in a chair. A woman walks up to me and takes out my messy bun, grabbing a can of hairspray. I pull out my phone and get ready for the next two hours of preparation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You're the star of the show, Evelyn, do not let the proud name of EFA down." Summer looks at me with a hardened look, and all I can do is nod.

No pressure, they said. I think with a snort. Bethany, one of the girls in Kappa Delta, walks off the stage behind the curtains, which means that it's my turn. Taking a deep breath, I put on a straight face with a tiny smile and step onto the runway.

I keep my head up high as the audience erupts into applause. I've made quite a name for myself in the fashion industry, and I just turned eighteen last month.

In the front, I see the royal family in their seats. King Alastair and Queen Marissa are in the middle, naturally, and on either side of them, three much younger members of royalty whom I recognize as the prince and princesses.

Courtney smiles up at me whilst the girl who sits beside her, her stepsister, frowns, looking from me to her as if she was seeing double. "Oh my God," I hear her whisper, and it takes all of my willpower not to change my facial expression.

As soon as I reach the front, my eyes casually drift down to meet Archer's, and he grins in response. Holding back my blush, I turn and strut back.

"That was brilliant!" Summer congratulates in a quiet and excited voice, and I smile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The same woman who'd helped me before undoes my extremely complicated braid as Penelope, another KD member, bursts into the room. "The royal family wants to meet us!" she squeals, and all of us cheer. Chuckling quietly, the woman brushes my hair until it looks acceptable, although the glitter is still stuck inside, before allowing me to join the others as we troop down the hallway into a rather large room.

Six people stand in the room, though I don't remember the young man who stands next to Courtney being at the fashion show. I notice that their hands are linked together, as though they're inseparable. Dating, perhaps? But no, she's engaged to Prince Nolan.. is this him?

"Thank you for agreeing to speak with us," King Alastair starts in his kingly booming voice. "We'd just like to congratulate you on the fantastic performance you put on for us. Splendid job." He smiles at us before Courtney's stepsister, Isla, I think, continues.

"We thought we'd treat you to a little something, so we've asked for you all to come and have a chat with us, socialize with people whose garments are just as beautiful as what you displayed." She tucks a dark red strand of hair behind her ear, and I immediately think Showoff much.

"Anyway," interrupts Archer with a cheeky grin, "If you didn't know already, my name is Prince Archer. And that's the only important name you need to know." The girls and I giggle, but Courtney lets go of the young man's hand to smack Archer on the arm playfully.

"Sorry about that. No, you know most of our names already, but this is Jordan Hastings. He's.. a friend of the family."

"Sup," he greets, smiling. He looks about two years older than me.

"Well, we won't keep you waiting. Feel free to do as you wish," the queen says before walking away to a corner.

"So do we just.. go up to someone and talk to them?" Rianna whispers in my ear.

"I guess," I reply, before stepping away from the crowd of students.

A/N

We're trying to update as much as possible <3 Anywayyyy sorry if this was kind of bad, Zan started most of this on a plane but it didn't save so we had to redo it ughhhh.

Hope you're liking this so far! If you have any questions (we know this chapter is confusing), feel free to ask. Love ya!

- Zalie <3