Chapter 13

Diego's POV

It's around midnight as I'm laying on the couch thinking about Danny's comment when Heather and Wilson emerges from the back room.

Heather came back just a few hours again, it makes me think about where the hell does she be going. They start to hurriedly walk out of the apartment when I sit up. "Where the fuck are y'all going?"

They stop in mid stride, both of them looking at me with wide eyes, the only difference is that Heathers eyes are rimmed red. The bitch probably go caught cheating.

Will looks at me sympathetically "We have to go handle something, we'll be back in a couple of days."

"Both of you?" Will glances at Heather then at me, she shakes her head. I stand up, confused. "It seems like y'all know something I don't."

"We have to go now." Heather whispers.

"Get in the car, I'll be there in a second."

She looks at Will for a second before storming off. He looks back at the door when Heathers gone "I'm sorry Diego."

I'm taken back by his sadness, the only time I ever seen him this sad is when I got sentenced. He wasn't crying, he just looked like a sadden, heartbroken puppy, just like he looks now. It makes me wonder what the hell is going on.

"What are you sorry about?" I fold my arms over my chest.

Once again he looks like he wants to say something but doesn't, he just walks out of the apartment. I have the urge to follow them, see what the fuck they're up too but I don't, I go lay back on the couch. In all honesty I don't have time to be following nobody because one, I'm waiting on this money from Danny and two I have to do the one thing I've been dreading to do since I got out of prison.

***

"Who are you here for?"  The officer looks up at me

"Hector Sanchez." I hand over my ID. I'm not even supposed to be up here since I'm on parole and I'm a "convicted felon" but I'm hoping they'll let me see this son of a bitch.

The officer takes her time to look at my ID carefully, it feels like ages before she tells me to go sit behind that glass and wait for him to come out.

I'm getting nervous by the second waiting behind this glass window. The last time I seen him was two years ago when he got out and came back to the house and proceeded to have unprotected sex with my mamá who didn't even want to. Nine months later Maria was born, at first I hated her so much but I saw how pure she was. It wasn't her fault she was brought into this world in a shitty way.

I look up and see him. He looks exactly the same, he probably gained weight but that's it. His hair is slicked back, his face is unshaven and his dark brown eyes are staring into mine. I pick up the phone and hold it to my ear, waiting for him to speak first.

"Diego, what a surprise to see you here son." He smiles

"I'm not you're fucking son." Danny and him doesn't seem to understand that. I only have a mamá and two sisters.

"I'm sure you came from my balls and out through my dick." His laughter is loud, it booms through the phone. It takes me back to the time when I was little, him laughing every time he used to hit me, saying I need to man up. I was only five. "Anyway, I heard you got out a couple months ago."

I shrug my shoulders like I don't care.

"What were you in for?" He's only asking this to get something on me, to use it against me. "You were selling?" His voice is low.

"It's better than doing them." My sperm donor never sold drugs, that's the only nice thing I can say about him. He worked in construction, it payed well for the most part, well enough for him to go and buy shit.

He laughs again "Yeah but I didn't get here by doing drugs."

I grip the phone, getting irritated "We all know the fucking reason why you got put in here."

He runs his hand over his hair "You're here because you wanna know why, right?"

It's like he can read straight through me "Damn right, I know I deserve that much." For all the times I put up with his beatings, watching him do those horrible things to mamá and Amaya he owes me this. I don't think I can work on myself if he doesn't tell me why he did it, why did he do those things to children that just wanted to be loved and not the way he was loving us. I wracked my brain trying to figure it out but I couldn't, he needs to tell me.

"I thought about why I did it too, I know the drugs or alcohol didn't do it, it was all me. I did it because I could and I wanted to." He smiles "Let's face it, Diego you know your mom is a weak woman, point blank. No woman in their right mind would stay with a man who abuses their children day in and day out. She was dependent on me, to work, make the money and I did exactly that." I feel my blood pressure rise as he continues to speak "I knew she wouldn't leave me. So like I said I did it because I could and if I had a second chance I would do it all over again."

I always knew Hector was a mean man but hearing him say that I know he's a evil person who doesn't have any remorse for the things that he has done. It makes me mad to the point where I could kill him and I wouldn't bat an eye.

I understand that I can be hotheaded at times however I would never put my hands on any woman. I may yell and call them out their names but I would never lay a hand on them. If a man does that's called being a coward and you deserve to rot in hell because of it.

"Speaking of redoing things, how's that precious baby of mine." His eyes sparkle.

I stand up so fast the chair knocks over. I grip the phone firmly "I'll kill you before you ever get a chance to see her, I promise you that." I speak into the phone, low and angry.

I slam the phone down and storm out of the room so angry that I feel like I'm about to pass out. I pace around the front doors livid but I feel happy that I got closure.

Needing a drink, I get into my truck and head to the bar on this lovely Sunday.