Chapter 38

I haven't seen Diego since our session on the kitchen floor a week ago and I'm starting to get worried.

I asked him if he wanted to stay over but he said he didn't want to, then he got up, kinda in a daze and left. I'm worried he drank himself in a coma or is just spiraled out somewhere drunk.

I've pestered Wilson about him but he doesn't know anything either.

***

Walking around an empty apartment is lonely when you know someone else oughta be with you.

That's exactly what I'm doing, walking around a cold apartment alone in a bathrobe. It shouldn't be new for me because this is what I've been doing since I dropped out of college a month and a half ago. Just pacing from wall to wall, day in and day out. I feel isolated almost when I'm by myself, when Diego's here I don't.

There's a knock at the door and I think it might be Diego but he wouldn't knock because he has a key.

I tighten the robe and pad across the floor to the door. When I open it Amaya is standing there, in a long sleeve shirt and shorts, her hair is in a braid.

"Where's Diego?" Right off the bat she sounds rude.

Teenagers.

"He's not here." A banging noise comes from downstairs. It's coming from Wills apartment. "Why?"

She pushes me aside when she enters the apartment. I shut the door and glance toward her, she's touching everything.

"Last week I came home from a basketball game and my mama was face down in her bed, crying, " She runs a finger over the countertop. "Maria was crying and wet. I asked mama what happened and all she said was Diego's name." She looks up. "She's been like that ever since. I've been having to take care of Maria by myself, it's hard."

"You shouldn't have to take care of her by yourself." Amaya's only sixteen, she's just a kid.

"Agreed, Diego should." She's being a smart ass.

I step toward her "No, he shouldn't."

She narrows her eyes at me and she's about to say something when the door opens.

I turn around, Diego is standing there with his hair in a ponytail and his beard full. I give him a smile, he returns it.

"You're a asshole, you know that?" Amaya interrupts our moment. I curse at her under my breath.

Diego's face switches from sweet to angry in a millisecond. "What the fuck are you talking about?"

"What'd you do to mama? She's crying everyday, not getting out of bed, not cooking and not even helping with Maria." Amaya steps towards him.

I can tell this isn't gonna be good.

"I told her what she needed to hear." His jaw ticks.

"Which was what?" She cocks her head.

"That she's a lousy mother, she's weak and I'm not providing for her anymore." I grab his hand to try to get him to calm down but it doesn't help.

"Who the fuck are you to say that?" Amaya yells at him, her hands are balled in fist.

"Guys, please." I just want all this fighting to be over with but Diego is too dead red up.

"Who am I? I'm the guy who went to jail because I wanted to make your life easier," he moves closer to her as he's yelling so I have to let go of his hand. "I'm the guy who held your fucking hand while you laid on my best friends bed, beaten to a bloody fucking pulp. I'm the guy who has protected you all my life even when I was too scared to." He inhales. "I'm the guy who's gonna take you and Maria away from this shitty life you've been handed."

Tears fill Amaya's brown eyes.

"Danny and I have been talking. He's willing to take you and Maria in and let you guys live with him, his wife and kids." He exhales.

"I'll be damned if I do." She starts to walk past us but he grabs her forearm.

"It's either that or I call CPS." Looking at him I can tell he's serious and so can Amaya. "Mamà is not right in the head and I'm doing what's best for you and Maria. So go back to the house and pack your shit, Danny will be there tonight." He lets go of her.

She stares at him with wide eyes "I fucking hate you," she turns towards me "I don't understand how you can be with him."

"Hopefully one day you will." I tell her as she walks out he door.

Diego throws his head back and exhales. I wrap my arms around him and lay my head on his chest.

"I gotta go." He whispers to me.

"Are you gonna come back?" His hearts beating through his chest.

His eyes are on me. "Don't I always?"

Vote & Comment