Chapter 40

Naomi's POV -
5 Months Later

I'm so big, I can't stand to look at myself. Diego says I look beautiful no matter my weight, but he has to say that. I'm all stomach but it's still taking a toll on me.

The doctor says the baby is gonna be on the heavier side and that's why my stomach is bigger at only five months.  I love going to the doctors to see how the baby is progressing, especially with Diego. He's very attentive, he listens and ask a lot of questions, more than I do. I feel like he's more excited than me.

We're waiting to find out the gender of the baby because we both want it to be a surprise. I still haven't asked Diego what he thinks it is.

I'm also waiting to go back to school after I have the baby, so while I'm staying at home, Diego's out working with Danny. Finally they're getting along. All because of me.

Amaya and Maria are good. Amaya forgave Diego and they're on good terms. Angela is getting help.

I'm glad everything is working out.

***

"Your mom is still not speaking to me." Diego walks out of the bathroom with gray sweats on and a towel around his neck. I love him when he's shirtless, his body is damn near perfect since he started working out with Danny. I also love the tattoo of my name he has over his heart.

I would've got the same but I couldn't.

"You shouldn't care, she'll get over it." I bite into the pepperoni pizza he bought me.

He comes over to me and leans up against the counter. "I would understand if she didn't because I basically took her only daughter away from her and got her pregnant at eighteen."

It's crazy because before I got pregnant and when I was in college she loved Diego but now she almost hates him.

That's bullshit because I chose to keep this baby and not go to college anymore. I wish she would get over it and be accepting like everyone else. Marcus and my father was. Diego's sisters and mom was. She's acting bitchy.

I look at him look at me. I can truly say he's changed but not for me, for himself. I'm proud of him. "The only thing that matters is that we have a healthy baby, okay?"

"Mm, okay." He bends down and kiss me.

I can also say that we're happy with each other. It took us a while to get to this place but I wouldn't trade that journey for the world.

If I could go back and rewind time, I wouldn't. This is supposed to be my life, and this is supposed to be his.

***

We're laying on the couch, Diego's tracing my belly with his fingers and I'm drinking a milkshake I made him go get for me from McDonalds.

"What do you want the baby to be, a boy or girl?" I say, moving a bit to place the shake on the table.

"A girl." He quickly says, no hesitation.

"Really?" I ask, surprised.

"Yeah."

"Don't you think you have enough girls in your life?" I interlock our fingers.

I feel him kiss the top of my head. "One more can't hurt."

I smile. "I want a girl too."

We sit in silence for a few moments. I look at our fingers and thank god for giving me such a wonderful man and human being. I remember back when I was in college he was such an ass to me and I kept coming back to him. I definitely made the right move.

I'm glad I never left Florida.

"Marry me?" He says suddenly.

"What?"

He tilts my head up so I'm looking into those chocolate eyes that I love so much. "Marry me." He says it as a statement this time. "Pick the date and we'll do it." There's a sparkle in his eyes.

I've always wanted to get married to Diego, even when we were at our worst. Now that he's asking it seems surreal.

"How about tomorrow?" I don't really mean tomorrow, i just want to see what he's gonna say.

"Fine with me, as long as I get to put a ring on your finger." He takes my left hand and begins to trace my ring finger. On my nineteenth birthday that was just a month ago he gave me a promise ring, that's on my right hand. I was so shocked he got it for me that I cried.

"You're such a great man." I mumble.

He kisses me with so much emotion. "It's all for you."

Wilson and Heather walk through the door seconds later with party supplies. I roll my eyes. "Guys that baby shower is two months away." Ever since I've told them that we're having the shower at the apartment they've been buying unnecessary items. You would think it's their child.

"We know but you can never be too prepared." Heather sets a bag on the counter. She dyed her hair black so she isn't my fiery red head anymore.

Diego helps me up off of him. I've been needing help getting up and that's embarrassing. He doesn't mind though.

"The baby weighing you down?" Wilson's letting his hair grow out so it looks like Diego. The texture is slightly different, his is silky while Diego's is curly.

"Very much so." I waddle over to the counter where Heather set the bag, I look inside and it's baby bottles.

I smile at her. I have the need to tell her about Diego's "proposal" but I keep quite, he might not want them to know.

"Are we gonna go out to eat or what?" Diego chimes in.

"Yeah cause I'm starving." Everyone laughs because they know I eat 24/7.

I barely get out the house anymore however I don't mind it, but then "night out" is gonna be what I need.

Diego works in the morning and is home at night, so I love that. I don't get to see him until like ten at night but I feel safer with him here at night so it doesn't matter. An with Brian not sending anymore texts I feel safer too.

He keeps me safe.