Chapter 42

Diego's POV

These past couple of months have probably been the best of my life and I kinda owe it all to Will. If it wasn't for him bringing me to Daytona I don't know where I'd be.

"How you feeling about all of this?" Will asks while stopping at a red light.

We're going to pick up the girls from the house and bring them over to the apartment. The baby shower starts in three hours and although it's early we decided just to go pick them up, the house is only like ten minutes away.

"I'm excited, I haven't felt this happy in forever." That's the truth. The only time I think I was this happy is when I was back in Mexico with my familia.

Thinking about how mama took us away from our family makes me upset but then again I know she was just trying to give us a better life.

Dr. Jenson has asked me to remember the more positive aspects of my life as a child rather than the negative ones, so that's what I've been doing. It's helped me a lot getting over the chip I've been having on my shoulder for like a decade.

"I'm happy for you, brother." I feel the truck start to move as the light turns green. "Whose all coming anyway?"

Here comes Will with his a million questions.

"The girls, Danny and his family, Noemi's mama, brother and father. I invited Amber and Kyle, and Lizzy." I glance at Will to see his reaction but there isn't one. "Not that many people but it'll be a nice turnout."

Im definitely a piece of shit for inviting Lizzy but Amber asked and I said sure. I have no feelings for Lizzy or ill-will so I don't see the problem, hopefully Noemi won't either.

Will laughs lightly. "Funny thing is when I invited her to that party, I didn't expect you to get with her because I was tryna get with her."

"I got that feeling. Glad I got to her first though." I say as we're pulling up to mamas house.

"I am too." Will smiles as he parks on the side of the house.

As I'm getting out of the truck my phone rings, i pull it out of my pocket. It's Heather. I decline it.

I shut the truck door then walk towards the house when my phone rings again. I answer it knowing it's Heather.

"Aye I'm at my mothers house, so call me back later." We're not even all that cool for her to be calling my phone.

"Diego, Naomi's been stabbed." Its rushed.

"Huh?" I stop dead in my tracks. I see mama and the girls walk out of the house.

"Naomi's been stabbed in the fucking stomach Diego. You have to come back here now!" She yells in the phone.

"Diego are you okay?" I hear Amaya from afar then I see Wilson get out of the truck.

"What's a matter?" He walks up to me.

It's like my mind is reacting faster than my body. So when it finally catches up I run to the drivers side and get in.

Wilson jumps in quickly as I starts to pull off. "Call the cops and send them to the apartment!" I yell to mama as I speed off.

***

Running through all the red lights and cars, I get to the apartment in about three minutes tops. I don't even turn off the engine or shut the door as I run up to where Noemi and Heather is.

My heart crushes when I walk into the room and see the woman I love this most lying on the floor and covered in blood. I rush to her.

Her head is slumped over in Heathers lap so I push her away and hold onto her. The once grey dress is now red, but I notice it's around her stomach area. So I pull up her dress, and there's a big gash on the right part of her stomach.

Tears are falling down my face rapidly. "Oh god," I position her so her head is laying on my forearm and her body is in my lap. "Noemi look at me, please just open your eyes." I beg her however she's not responding to my voice.

Heathers in the corner, babbling about something when Wilson walks in.

"Oh fuck."

I look up at him with tears running down my face. "Wh-what do I do?"

He rushes over to the kitchen, grabs a cloth then wraps it around her stomach. It seeps through in a matter of minutes.

"Call the fucking cops Heather, NOW!" Will yells at her, while her gets another cloth from the kitchen.

I sweep the hair away from her face and that's when her eyes open. Relief washes through me.

"You're gonna be okay." I reassure her.

She nods as tears trickle down her face. "I love you so much." Her voice is weak. "You're gonna take real good car of our baby and be the best father in the world."

I grab her hand and squeeze it. "You're gonna be here to be the best mother." I look at the ring, she was so happy when I gave it to her earlier.

"Yeah." Her eyes close once again.

The EMTS comes in a second later with a stretcher and they ask what happened but I don't even know.

They put her on the stretcher and take her away from me.

When I stand up my shirt is soaked in blood and so are my hands.

"We're gonna follow behind them." Wilson says, picking Heather up from the floor.

"I gotta call her mom." I pat my pockets for my phone.

"You can do that on the way, lets go." He pushes me out the door.

Even though I'm not a praying man I pray that she's okay because I know if I lose her, I'll lose myself.