CHAPTER 7: Flight

"It's an endless procession of surprises. The expected rarely occurs and never in the expected manner." -Vernon A Walters

The week went in a blur, and without knowing it, it was already time for me to leave for college. And me being the smartass that I am, I applied for college in a different state. New school, new state, new city, and a new beginning. I can't really wait to start all over. Maybe existing in a place where no one knows me, might allow me to forget about my past and give me the strength for my future. 

I clutched the bags firmly, I tried to steady myself whilst holding all of them. However, I was having trouble walking and holding 4 big bags at the same time, and I wasn't pretty enough to get strangers to hold bags for me.

"Here we go." I sighed, I put my bags on a seat in the airport and turned to sit on the seat next to it. My ridiculously long hair got stuck between the zipper of one of the bags, I tried to get it off, by pulling hardly on my hair, which of course, made the bags fall headfirst on the floor, and so did I.

"Cool. Just cool." I mumbled, and got up before someone'd see me. I'm so clumsy goddamnit. I sat down and fixed my hair in the reflection of my phone screen, and surely, I was a mess. Eh, the usual, I thought I straightened my back up and looked around me,

I took a glimpse of bright blue eyes, and my mind automatically went back to him. I hate the fact that I only see something that reminds me of him, and I get the nostalgic feeling over and over again. I can't believe that a pair of blue eyes can make me so happy and bring me so much pain. The couple kissing each other goodbye in front of me, made me cringe in disgust and smile in adoration. All of those emotions I have are so much, so messed up.

I remember when my Dad used to always tell me how I don't need anyone to survive...he was totally right.

(3 Years ago - 16 years old)

I stopped to take my breathe behind the tree that I and daddy wrote our names on it. He decided to take me for a picnic like how we used to when I was a little kid. I didn't mind at all. After eating, he asked if we'd play a game of hide and seek. I said yes.

I tilted my head a little behind the tree so I can detect where he is at,

"GAAAHHHH!!" I jumped from my place and screamed when he whispered "Boo." In my ear and startled me. I put my hands on my chest, my heart was beating so fast, and he watched me as all the colors drained from my face.

"Dad!! You could've killed me with a heart attack!" I finally dared to laugh,

"Oh don't worry sweetie, you will survive." He leaned on the tree and slid down on the grass to catch his breathe, and so did I. "How did you find me?" I asked

"Do you think I'm that stupid?" He smirked at me

"Me? think you're stupid? Pfft dad, of course not." I rolled my eyes, sarcasm dripping off my words.

"Oh don't you dare!" He swept me off my feet and swiftly put me on his shoulder and laughed, while I giggled uncontrollably

"Daddy, put me down!!" I giggled. My whole face was red from laughter and I couldn't take my breathe.

We stayed the whole day chasing each other and playing around like little kids. It was one of those days that I wish I'd have back. It was one of those days when life was miserable but I was happy. After that, we ate dinner together and went home late, we had a really good time and I was truly happy to get to hang out with my dad and have fun. School was already making me stressed enough.

However, that wasn't the problem. The problem, that made my heart beat extra fast and my hands tremble from fear; that when we finally got home, a body was unconscious on the floor, broken glass was everywhere and the place looked like an utter mess.

It was my mum. Her stomach was bleeding and she lied lifeless on the floor.

"Mum!!" I shook her back and forth,

"What happened!" I heard my dad shout from behind me,

"I don't know!" I thought I lost her. I thought she was gone.

Turns out that the house was robbed, she was cooking dinner and she heard someone's footsteps from the backyard. She thought it was us so she went there, and sure enough, the robber didn't expect her to be there, or awake at least, so he stabbed her with a knife in her stomach and shoulder. And searched for what he wants in the house and left. It sounded like he didn't find anything to rob, so he left the house after destroying it. The weird thing was that my mother refused to call the police, or even talk about it.

She started having nightmares and anxiety attacks, it was too much for my dad and he couldn't stay with her any longer. As she couldn't sleep properly and he couldn't watch her to sleep every single day.

Well, back to the topic, he said he can't do this anymore, and they got divorced.

"You're gonna survive, honey. With or without me." He told me,

...

"Flight to Washington DC will take off in half an hour. Please get ready to board your planes! Plane number 6 to Washington DC will take off in half an hour. Please get ready to board your planes!" I stood up clumsily and walked with my bags hung up loosely from my shoulders.

"Uh, excuse me." Someone tapped on my shoulder, didn't they see I was trying to get there just like them? I turned around to meet the annoying voice, "You!" We both said at the same time.

I was, right now, face to face with the same bright blue-eyed guy that I met almost 4 days ago.

"What the fuck." I muttered under my breath. "What the hell are you doing here." we both said in unison, again. Cool, just cool.

"I'm in an airport, what do you think I'm doing?" He tilted his head to the side, giving me a dirty look.

"I don't know, you tell me." I rolled my eyes,              

"Oh nothing, just hanging out in the airport. I heard they sell pretty good burgers here." He glared at me

"Haha, very funny."

"Can you guys excuse us, we really want to pass too." Tell me again why did I have to go with a plane? Why does it have to be so crowded anyway?

"Well, sir, as you see, there's plenty of space to walk here!" I snapped at the stranger. People are doing a great job pissing me off today. When the elderly man passed us with his wife, he harshly hit me with his shoulder, and me being the klutz that I am, all the bags I was holding fell.

I sighed heavily and closed my eyes, "You could've at least helped me!" I shouted at him but he didn't even bother to look back at me. I didn't really need him to help me.

"Like you'd have made him help anyway." I heard the blue-eyed boy mutter under his breath and I rolled my eyes.

I leaned down to get my bags, but again, the blue-eyed boy was faster to give me a hand. "Here." He told me, but only gave me two bags

"Give me the bags." I demanded,

"You're so clumsy, let me hold it for you."

"I'm not clumsy and I'm perfectly capable of holding my own bags." I insisted. Do I look that helpless?

"We're both on the same flight. Can you shut up and let someone help you for once!" He said, his voice louder than usual.

Uh Oh, looks like I got on the handsome's nerves.

_____