Chapter 39: Homesick

"Girls are funnier when they're with girls, guys are funnier when they're with girls."

Zack, Brian, and Mark kept my company the whole day when Daniel or Kylie wasn't around. Zack and Brian were both in th rest of my lectures, which I was surprised about because I never noticed. It made me rethink about the time Daniel told me I was "Too naïve for my own good." But I think it was pretty normal not to notice someone's existence—it was a part of my personality I guess.

The midterms are tomorrow, so I and Daniel made a deal to not see each other this whole time so we can concentrate more on the task at hand. I was walking to my dorm when I heard my name being called,

"Yes?" I turned around. Shady was standing there with all of her winter-glory.

"Are you okay?"

"Better than any other day." I told her. And that was the truth. I was defintely better.

There was a long pause, "Where are you staying at?" I asked her,

"Sebastian's." She replied and I nodded. Guilt was written all over her face, and she looked up at me warily from time to time—wanting to get a reaction out of me. The silence was killing me. But at the same time, I don't know what to do. Both of us I assume.

We just stood there, staring at the floor. Until she opened her mouth, "I'm sorry I'm staying with you ex-boyfriend but—"

"It's okay. I'm staying with your ex-boyfriend too." That seemed to take her off guard, her eyes were wide and she was looking anywhere but me. Now that we're saying it aloud, it sounds pretty awkward.

"Are you—are you seeing him?"

"Doesn't matter. You seem to get just well with Sebastian anyway." It seemed to get her right on the spot because she flinched at my words.

Another silence consumed us, "Sierra—"

"Save it." I interrupted her, "Please."

"I didn't do it." Now she started to cry.

"Stop lying to me!" I shouted at her.

"I'm not lying."

"Well there's nothing here to prove it. So if you'll excuse me, I got midterms to study for." And with that, I left her in the hallway and went to my dorm.

I have to admit that quitting my job made me feel a little empty at night. But at least I was working when everyone was partying right? The semester is almost over and I didn't even go to one frat party—and I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing. I want to get my head off things, I want to distract myself... And a party seems like a good idea. But not now, maybe next semester. Spring break is one week away and I don't know what to do in it. Am I gonna stay in my dorm here, or fly back to my hometown and stay at my grandma's house. Both here and there have bad memories to mourn about, but do I really have a choice?

-0-0-0-0-

I studied myself to sleep, with books sprawled across my bed sheet. And I'm pretty sure the pens even made marks on the sheets. But I couldn't care less, I was exhausted.

I groaned loudly when I heard a shuffle in the room. Suddenly all the sleep in my eyes vanished and I was wide awake. I hid myself with the devut, holding it firmly to my body and hair, with my face sticking out of it.