Part Eleven: The Talk

Farkle

When I walk outside, I find Riley sitting on the curb crying. I walk over and sit down next to her. She immediately lets me hold her until her tears stop. She pulls away and looks down at her folded hands, and then at me.

"I told him no, Farkle. I told the guy that I've liked since I fell into his lap on the subway, no."

"I'm sorry Riley. I know how hard that must have been for you."

"That's the thing. It wasn't. I mean, it definitely did hurt, but only because I knew it would hurt him. I didn't care that I wasn't going to be with him. But once I saw the look on his face... I had to get out of there before I changed my mind just for his sake."

"Sometimes it's the people closest to us, that hurt us the most. But sometimes, it's for the better. What you did was for the better, Riley. You and Lucas will be much happier now that you've followed your heart."

"What if I'm not following my heart? What if I'm doing what my head tells me... Again. When I did this last time it turned into a big mess. What happens if I figure out I actually do still have feelings for Lucas?"

"You have to believe this time it's different. You've been given time to really think about your feelings for him. I think you realized that he wasn't what your heart wanted."

"I guess you're right. I mean, you are the genius." She lets out a little laugh.

I smile. "Only when it comes to the textbooks. When it comes to feelings, I can only say what I believe to be right."

I stand up, reaching a hand down to help Riley up as well. She takes my hand and then we're standing face to face. Riley smiles and then pulls me into a hug. I tightly hug her back.

"Thank you, Farkle."

"Of course, Riley. I'm always here for you."

She pulls away. "You always say that."

"It's because it's true. Now, do you think you're ready to go back inside?"

She looks nervously towards the doors. I reach down and take her hand.

"I'll be right there with you."

She squeezes my hand and together we walk back into the hospital.

When we walk through the doors, we see Maya turning the corner. She looks both happy and confused. Maya looks up and sees us and makes her way over to us.

"Riley, can I talk to you for a second?"

I give Riley's hand a squeeze and she smiles.

"Of course." Together they walk to a pair of chairs. I make my way back over to Pappy Joe. It looks like Zay is visiting with Lucas at the moment. I'm kind of grateful for that because I don't know how I could talk to Lucas right now.

Hey. I heard Riley said no to you. Well that's great since I've been in love with her since the first grade and now I finally have a chance with her.

Yeah. No. I needed some time to breath first.

-------------------------------------------------------

Riley

Maya and I make our way over to a pair of secluded chairs. We sit down and stay quiet. Maya finally breaks the silence after a while.

"Why?" She asks.

"Why what?"

"Why would you tell Lucas to choose me after everything that happened last time?"

"Because, Maya. I wasn't sure of my feelings back then. All that mattered to me was that you were happy. But now, I know my feelings, and I'm listening to my heart. It's telling me that I don't like Lucas the same way that I did two years ago. But you clearly do. Which is why I told him to choose you. You two are great together."

"But I thought you still liked him?"

"I thought I did, but only because that seemed like the logical thing to do. We were Lucas and Riley. He was the knight in shining armor and I was the princess. We were meant to be. Or so we thought."

"What do you mean?"

"What I mean is, what if in this story the prince chooses an Amazon Warrior over the princess? What if in this story everything is not as it always seems?"

"I don't know how many people would read that story."

"I would. Because the happiness of the people is more important than what is normal or what is expected or what is wanted. Your happiness is being with Lucas, and in time I think Lucas will realize that his happiness is the Amazon Warrior."

"You really think so?"

"I really do."

"Thank you."

I pull Maya into a hug. She tightly squeezes back.

"I told you a guy could never come between us." I say as I pull away.

"I'm glad it didn't. And besides, no guy could ever break our ring power." Maya holds up her hand and I grab it tightly.

"Ring power." I say. Our hands fall back down to our sides.

"So what's going on with you and Farkle?" Maya asks.

"What do you mean? There's nothing going on." I tell her.

"Oh so spending the night in his bed with him and walking into the hospital holding hands just then was 'nothing'?" She says sarcastically.

"Maya, there's something I haven't told you yet."

Her eyes widen. "What. Happened?"

"So a while ago, right after you told me to go after Lucas, Farkle, he umm..."

"He umm... What?!"

"He told me he likes me. Like actually likes me."

"Wow. I always knew he loved you more."

I laugh and she joins in. But then I get serious again.

"Maya. What am I supposed to do now? I'm sure Farkle expects me to say something to him at some point but, I just don't know if I'm ready for... You know."

"I completely understand. And Farkle should too. If he's the guy I know he is, he will completely understand if you want to wait to talk to him."

"Are you sure?"

"If Farkle cares for you the way I think he does, then he knows not to push the subject. It'll be alright."

"Thanks, Peaches."

"Anytime, Riles."

-------------------------------------------------------

This one is a little shorter because I'm writing it at 2am. I hope you all are enjoying this so far!

Please comment and vote. It really means a lot. Thank you for reading!! <3

(may 28, 2016)