Part Seventeen: The Apology

Riley
It's Monday. Yay. I just love Mondays.

I'm standing at my locker before my science class when someone taps me on the shoulder.

I smile and turn around happily expecting Farkle, except it isn't.

It's.... Lucas?

"Hey." He says.

"Uh, hi." I say, very awkwardly. It's probably been, I don't know, a month since we last talked?

"Look, I know this isn't the best of circumstances but I was wondering-"

"Woah. You can just stop right there. Whatever you are about to ask me to do, I already say no, and you want to know why? Well-"

"I know why. And that's why I was wondering if we could please talk during lunch. I want to explain everything."

"Why are you coming to me? Isn't it Maya you should be going to? It's her heart you broke, not mine."

"Yes, I'm planning on talking to her next. I just want to talk to you first to make sure I know what to say when I talk to her."

"Yeah? What exactly are you planning on saying to her? You told her to give you a chance, a chance to prove yourself. You told her she was the one. You told her you would never leave her like her father did. Well guess what Lucas, you did exactly what her father did. You are no better than him. She couldn't forgive him so what makes you think she would ever forgive you?"

He looks down with a pained look on his face. I can tell my words really hurt him. Well good. He needed to feel what Maya was currently feeling.

But I also know Lucas very well, probably better than anyone, and I know that that look means he's being sincere in wanting to apologize.

So I decide to hear him out.

"I'll meet you outside by the maple tree." I say, closing my locker and walking away.

"Thank you Riley!" He calls down the hall.

As I'm walking away, I see Farkle standing and staring. I walk up to him and give him a kiss on the cheek.

"Hey, babe." I say, smiling.

"Hey. What was that all about?" He asks, motioning to Lucas.

"Oh. Uh, nothing. He just wanted to see my notes for English." I say.

"Oh. Are you sure? You looked kind of angry."

"Well that's because his reason for needing them was because he skipped class to meet with Smackle, which of course would make me angry."

"Oh, ok. Why would he ask you?"

"Who knows? Maybe he's trying to slowly reconcile."

"Like that would ever happen."

I let out a slight giggle. "Ha, yeah... Like that would ever happen. Let's get to class."

I grab Farkle's hand and we walk to class together.

I love science even more now that I can openly admire Farkle and his genius. I don't think I've ever enjoyed Farkle time as much as I do now.

After class Farkle follows me to my locker so that we can go to lunch together, but then I remember.

Lucas. Crap.

"Uh, hey hon. Why don't you head to our table. I've gotta use the bathroom."

"Alright. I'll be waiting." He says and plants a kiss on my lips. I smile.