Part Twenty Eight: The Reconsiliation

Maya

I sit on the edge of my bed, my head spinning.

I had to get out of that cafe. Being around Lucas, Smackle and Zay again was so weird. I know Farkle really wants things between all of us to be good again, but I don't think that could ever really happen.

There's too much stuff in the way.

My phone lights up with the name Asher.

hey babe, you alright? i know you said you didn't want to talk but i'm still worried

I sigh. Asher is the guy i've been secretly seeing for the past few months. I didn't think it would last but he's honestly great.

A little too great.

He's the perfect mix of bad boy and good guy.

He's just... too perfect. I only keep it going because I know I would regret it if I let him go.

I text back: i promise i'm fine, i'll see you tomorrow

I fall back onto my bed. Life wasn't supposed to be like this. Riley and Farkle are supposed to be together and in love. Riley and I are supposed to be best friends, partners in crime. Lucas and I...

Who knows what Lucas and I are supposed to be. I can't deny I still have feelings for him. Seeing him and Smackle together everyday hurts. I guess Asher was my perfect distraction, and it was working until tonight. Until Farkle decided we all need to start hanging out together again.

I lie on my bed in silence. I'm drifting off to sleep until I hear a knock on my door.

"Maya?" It's my moms voice.

"Yeah?" I respond, tiredly.

"Someone is here to see you." She says.

"Who?" I ask.

I hear the door open.

I slowly get up as I say, "Mom, who is-"

I'm cut off when I see Lucas standing in the doorway, my mom behind him with a nervous look on her face.

"Lucas." Is all I can get out.

"Hey." He says.

"I'm gonna leave you two alone. I'll be in the living room if you need anything." My mom says and she turns and walks away.

Lucas just stands in the doorway, I stay seated on my bed. Neither of us say a word, we just stare at each other.

Finally, I stand up and walk over to him.

I cross my arms over my chest. "What are you doing here?"

"We need to talk."

"We have nothing to talk about."

"Maya-"

"Anything we ever had to talk about you left in Texas." My emotions start welling up. I can't believe I'm still this upset. "You broke my heart." I get out in barely a whisper.

His eyes become sad. "I know. I know I hurt you, but I came here to fix that."

I scoff and roll my eyes, turning away from him but he walks around me until I'm facing him again.

"We belong together."

I drop my arms. "Oh my gosh... Lucas. Just stop. Don't even-"

"I was wrong Maya! I made the wrong choice, and not only did I have to pay for it but so did you. So did your heart."