Part Twelve: The Surprise

Riley

I wake up to the sound of a rooster crowing. I swear if I ever hear the sound of a rooster again, I will kill myself. I lazily get up and throw on some clothes and walk outside to make some breakfast only to be stopped by seeing someone I did not expect to see.

Isadora Smackle was sitting on the couch next to Zay. Farkle stood by the saddle, looking both confused, annoyed, and worried all at once. What was Smackle doing here? I thought Farkle said they broke up!

What if she's here to get Farkle back? What if I missed my chance of ever being with him? Oh, why did I have to take so long to decide between him and Lucas...

I just stand outside my doorway without saying anything until Smackle spots me. She smiles and stands, then walks over to me to give me one of her signature Smackle hugs. She steps back.

"Hello Riley. It's nice to see you again." Before I get a chance to say anything in response she continues. "I want you to know that I am not here to steal back Farkle, but merely because I heard the news about Lucas and wanted to make sure he was alright. I promise you, I am no threat. Although being in a triangle does sound enticing."

I just stand there, unable to say anything. Before it gets too awkward, Farkle says, "I'll go find Pappy Joe so we can all go see Lucas again." And quickly walks down the hall to find Pappy Joe.

We all stand awkwardly in the living room, unsure of what to say next so I ask, "Where's Maya?"

Zay finally speaks up and says, "I heard someone leave pretty early this morning. I don't think she's come back yet."

At the same moment Farkle and Pappy Joe walk back into the room. "Are y'all ready to go see Lucas?" Pappy Joe asks.

"Let me go find Maya first. I'm sure she'll want to see him." I quickly run outside to go find Maya, but not before I see Farkle and Smackle exchange a look. Instead of dwelling on it, I focus on finding Maya.

This trip wasn't meant to be like this. It was supposed to be about supporting Lucas and having fun. Now it's just turned into a big mess of emotions. No wonder Maya wants to be alone. I think we all need a break.

I'm almost surprised when I find Maya sitting at the campfire site. But of course this is where she would come after the talk she and Lucas had. Of course she would come back to there first real moment together.

Maya looks up as I walk towards her. I sit down on the log next to her and we just look at the empty campfire.

"We're going to visit Lucas." I say.

She looks up at me.

"Smackle made a surprise visit to come check on Lucas." I say, stressing the last part and then look back at Maya. She gives me a look of understanding.

"You don't think she's actually here to see Lucas do you?"

"Smackle and Lucas were never that close. Her main reason for being here can't be to check on Lucas."

"You think she would actually try to take Farkle back?"

"Why not? She's been in love with him for so long. And Smackle always gets what she wants. Why not try and get him back? Maya, what if I missed my chance? What if Smackle coming all the way to Texas makes Farkle realize he might've made the wrong decision?"

"Well then that's up to Farkle."

"Maya, what do I do?"

"Do you really like Farkle?" She asks. I nod. "Then you already know what you need to do. You still have a chance to tell Farkle how you feel." I nod again.