Chapter 3; Birthday Surprises

"If this was a book, you'd be here by now."

~ @deepxsnaps / / Twitter

-

Alice's P.O.V

-

    "Swim wear?"
    "Check."
    "Extra clothes?"
    "Check."
    "Phone charger?"
    "Check."
    "Book?"
    "Check."
    "Great," I say, zipping my second suitcase up. "All done."

    I sit up on my bed, turning to face Ray. "Have the boys packed their suitcases yet?"
    "Yup. All of them but Cassie," he tells me as he places my suitcases on the floor. "We're gonna tell him tonight, right?"
    I nod. "Yup."
    I look towards my door as the sound of a grandfather clock chiming. It chimes eleven times.

    Eleven O'Clock. Time to go.
    "I gotta go now," I say, grabbing my bag as I stand up.
    Ray nods, giving me a quick peck on the lips. "I'll see you later."
    "Tell Grandma Meg I said hello," he says as I walk out the door.
    "Will do," I respond over my shoulder.
    "Bye, mum," Asa and Isaac chorus as I open the front door.

    I wave at them as I close the gate behind me. "Goodbye, boys. See you tonight."

****

    Taking my metal chain out from my bicycle's basket, I lean my bike against the tree outside a store with the words "Grandma Meg's Bookstore" painted above the glass window in gold. I press the two ends of the chain together, waiting to hear the loud click that comes afterwards before I walk away. The bell attached to the wooden door sounds as I open it. I then enter the tiny shop, removing my coat as I do so.

   "Oh, Alice dear, you're early," states an old woman at the counter.

    She's dressed in a grey turtle neck dress with a faded black scarf wrapped around her neck. Her pearly white hair is pulled back in a simple rose bun with a flower pin keeping her fringe from getting into her eyes. Her warm smile reaches her brown eyes which glint with many years of knowledge.

    "Good morning, Grandma Meg," I greet, matching her smile with one of my own. "How was dinner with your grandchildren?"
    "Oh, it was lovely," she replies.
    "How's Eliza?" I ask as I hang my coat up on the coat rack.
   "She's wonderful," Grandma Meg replies. "She just said her firsts words yesterday. You'll never guess what they were."

   I chuckle. "What were they? A profanity?"
   "Oh, heavens no."

    "Then what was it?" I ask.
   "Harry Potter."
   I laugh, imagining the little brunette trying to say those words.
   Grandma Meg sighs. "What are your generation teaching their children these days?"

   "Hopefully more about books than about profanities."
   She laughs. "Yes, hopefully."
   "If my future child's first words aren't a fictional character or a ship name then I'm going to assume that the child isn't mine."

    Grandma Meg chuckles. "Well, maybe your future child would have more of Ray's genes than yours."

   "Grandma Meg!" I exclaim, feeling my cheeks heat up at her comment.
   "I'm just saying, dear," she protests innocently. "I mean, I don't recall Ray being in, what is it you youngsters call it? Oh, fandoms. I don't remember Ray being in any fandoms."
   "That's where you're wrong," I say. "I managed to drag him into the depths of The Ranger's Apprentice fandom."