Chapter 18; Tease

"... I was calm on the outside but thinking all the time."

~ A Clockwork Orange, Dir Stanley Kubrick

-

Alice's P.O.V

-

    "Please?"
    "No," Ray replies monotonously.
    "Please?" I repeat.
    He exhales, agitated. "No."
    "Please?" I beg.
    Ray groans, closing his laptop. "If I let you go out just this once will you stop trying to get out of bed?"
    I raise my eyebrows, holding my hand up for him to see, the chains clattering as I move.

    "Need I remind you that you chained me to the bed frame?"
    "Yeah, but Will taught you how to pick a lock ages ago," Ray points out, placing his laptop on the bedside table as he stands up.
    "But I don't have my kit with me now, do I?"
    "I can never be too sure, you could have bobby pins in your pockets for all I know," he mutters as he rummages through his bag for the key to the handcuffs.

    I place my book on my lap. "Does it look like I have a bobby pin with me?"
    "I don't know, but you'd have found a way to get out eventually," Ray states, pulling his hand out the bag.
    "I'm flattered. I didn't think that you thought so highly of my skills that you'd get the guys to attach bars to the windows, keep me handcuffed to the bed and have someone constantly watching over me."

    "Be thankful I didn't take away your phone or books," he says as he makes his way towards me, the key in his hand.
    "You'd never do that, you're not sadistic," I say as he proceeds to unlock the handcuffs.
    I hear a click as the handcuffs fall off. "That and also because I've seen you with a dagger and I'd like my genitals to remain attached to me."

    I inspect my wrist, thankful that he choose comfortable padded handcuffs and not the painfully sharp ones. "Where did you say you got the handcuffs again?"
    "I didn't," he replies, dumping the cuffs and key into the drawer. "Will did."
    I swing my legs over the edge of the bed. "Do I even want to know how he got his hands on them?"

    "He said that Ares lent them to him, apparently the shop sold handcuffs, too," he tells me, closing the drawer.
    "And what was Ares's reaction to Will's odd request?" I ask.
    "He said something along the lines of: "I don't wanna know" and "just take them and go."."
    "Hmm. And where is our beloved nerd at this hour?" I ask since we were already on the subject of Will.

    "He left a few hour prior."
    "Still as mysterious as ever, I see?"
    Ray nods.
    I cover my mouth with my hand, stifling a tired yawn. "What time is it?"
    "Eight in the morning," Ray replies, checking his watch. "Where do you wanna go?"
    "Are the twins awake?" I ask.
    He nods.

    "I'd like to bring them to the skatepark."
    "Okay, I'll tell them to get ready." He stops in his tracks, turning around to face me. "Cassie's been asking for you, do you want me to tell him he can see you now?"
    "Of course," I reply, nodding.
    "I'll get him now," Ray tells me before padding out the room. "Cassie, you can come in now."

    The sound of footfalls follows immediately after Ray utters those words. I smile, seeing Cassie's adorable face emerge from behind the wooden door.
    "Mummy!" he exclaims, running towards me as fast as his little legs can carry him.
    My smile broadens as he jumps onto the bed, throwing his arms around my waist.

    I run my fingers through his blonde hair. "Hey, Cas."
    "Is it true?" he asks, looking up at me.
    "Is what true, darling?"
    "Daddy said that he'd let you bring us to the skate park today. Is that true?" he repeats.
    I nod my head at the smiling toddler. "Yes, Cas. We'll be leaving soon."