The Librarians and the Book's Due

In The Librarians and the Book's Due (takes place during The Librarians and the Sunken Chest), Alex and James team up to return Ben, who turned out to be a fictional, to the book he belongs to, and they begin to reconnect as they work together.

//////

Previously, in the Librarians and the Search for Magic:

Beep.

Begrudgingly, Wilhelm Grimm reached into his pocket and pulled out his cell phone. It beeped again and he brought the phone up against his ear.

"What!?" He whisper-shouted. The voice on the other end of the line hesitated, and he repeated himself. "I don't like to be kept waiting."

"Mythothian, sir?" The voice asked, and Grimm switched his phone to the other ear.

"How is your operation going? Any new details?" Grimm asked, and the boy on the other end of the line cleared his throat. "Start talking boy, or I'll put you back where you came from." He said, and the boy cleared his throat again, nervous.

"They're all taking a plane into London, including her. From what I heard, they're doing more than just sightseeing. I think they're planning on going inside of Big Ben." The boy said, holding onto his last breath. "I have a feeling your brother's keeping his part of the book in their library annex there sir."

"Good boy. Find out as much as you can. Stay in New York. The last thing I need is for them to be suspicious of you. They don't need to know anything more about you."

"Yes sir..." The boy paused. "Just don't hurt her. Please. I've grown to care for her, a lot."

"I'll leave your little Alexandria alone." He said, and the line went dead.

...

"So...it's three days into the school year and you're going to England with your family." Ben said, shoving his hands in his front jeans pockets.

"Yeah. We do spontaneous trips like this a lot." Alex said, and she pulled him in for a hug.

"I'm going to miss you Elena." He whispered, but Alex didn't hear him completely.

"What did you say?" She he asked him, pulling away.

"I said have a safe trip." Ben said, tightening his sweatshirt.

...

"Hey, what are you looking at?" James said, sitting down next to Alex. Alex sighed, shifting her computer screen.

"Riley is torturing me. She sent me the description and illustrations for Falling. She knows I haven't read the Ascendance series yet." Alex complained, showing James the page on her computer.

"Well, if it makes you feel any better, I haven't seen the illustrations yet." James said, clicking through the pictures. "Hey doesn't that look a lot like your boyfriend." He said, and Alex zoomed in.

"It looks exactly like Ben. What's the character's name?" She said, and they scrolled down the page, stopping at the name. They both gasped. "Ben Saunders." They both said simultaneously. "Ben can't be...There's no way. It's not possible." Alex paused. "You've read the books. Who is Ben with in the books?"

James scratched his head. "It's been awhile since I read Falling. I know the first book he was in a love triangle. Then in book 2, Lucy had a love spell on him, which Elena broke at the end of the book. Then before he was killed, I want to say he was with Elena." James said, and Alex looked him dead in the eye. She sighed.