A Whole Lot of Yelling

*beep beep,beep beep.*

I finally reached my phone and answered.

“Nic,” a relieved EJ said. “Where are you?! You have us worried sick! Jon said you didn’t show up for sixth. Where are you??!!”

“EJ, I’m fine. I’m home. I’m sorry. It slipped my mind. I just didn’t feel too good.”

“Why didn’t you tell me? I would have taken you home. I’m at home, where are you?!”

“I know. But I just needed to think. I’m sorry. Band room.” I whispered.

“It’s okay, just come into the house. It’s warmer.”

“Can you come get me? I don’t feel too great.”

“I’m on my way.”

“Thanks.” I said softly and hung up.

A few minutes later, EJ came in and swooped me up and held my bag as well. We entered the house and the heater made my nose even stuffier. He brought me to my room and tucked me in. He felt my forehead. I was very hot.

He left my room to go make soup. I took this time to check the time. Four o’clock. Damn. Nine text messages.

Jon: HEY! WHERE ARE YOU!?

Tristan: Where are you? Are you okay?!

Aiden: Get well soon, alright?

Tristan: Can we talk later? Where are you?

Zale: Where’d you disappear to? Nic, you need to tell me what’s wrong.

I closed my phone. I don’t want to read any of these anymore.

“It was mindless of you to just leave school.” EJ said cooling down my bowl of soup.

“I know.” I said sitting up. “So where’s Jon?”

“He’s on his way home now. He went to the mall thinking you’ve gone there.”

“Oh.” I took the spoon and slurped the noodles. “HOT!”

EJ laughed. “It’s hot.”

I gave him a ‘thanks for telling me’ look and kept on eating.

“EJ.”

“Yes little sister?”

“Thanks.”

“No problem.”

The front door closed and then we heard a bunch of footsteps coming up the stairs. Sounded more like a stampede. Standing in my door were Jon, Aiden, Charles, Zale, and Tristan.

“Nic! Why didn’t you answer your phone?!” scolded Jon.

“Jon, please, not now.” I said with a little weakness in my voice.

Jon released his anger and calmed down. He sat down on the edge of my bed next to EJ. The others crowded around. Can you say this much attention from these many boys is uncomfortable. I sneezed into a tissue and all of them said ‘Bless you’. It was like an amphitheatre, or an echo.

“Can I be alone?” I asked.

They all nodded and left. Tristan stayed behind. I made myself comfortable in my bed. I lay on my side facing him. He looked worried and his eyes were soft.

“Why didn’t you tell me you didn’t feel good? Why didn’t you let me give you my jacket? Why didn’t you tell me?” His voice was soft. “You know I’ll always be here for you. Can you tell me why you just didn’t say anything?”