A Day Out Is Just What I Need

I don’t know how long I was asleep, but it felt only felt like five minutes.

“Letty. Wake up. It’s ten. Wake up. Nic.” Joyce called shaking me.

I groaned and wiped my eyes. I laid there staring at the blank white ceiling.

“Where’s Donna?” I asked sitting up.

“She went home.”

I got up and fixed my hair. Joyce started folding one blanket and I started folding the other.

“What did you do while I slept?” I yawned.

“Computer. I webcammed with Logan, Ray and Thomas.”

“Oh. Weren’t you bored?”

“Not really. We were making fun of you sleeping.” She joked.

“HA-HA. Thanks a lot.”

We laughed and headed inside. Jon and Charles were lounging on the couch watching basketball reruns.

“Morning idiots.” I laughed.

“Morning Dumb and Dumber.” Charles mimicked. Jon gave him a high five. I karate chopped Jon’s right shoulder.

“Ouch!” He said rubbing it. “What do you want?”  

“Where’s EJ?” I said grabbing eggs from the fridge.

“He and Olivia went to buy food for us so don’t make anything.”

I opened the fridge again and placed the eggs back. I walked over to Joyce who was sitting on the other couch.

“Where’s Aiden?” I asked casually. Plopping next to Joyce.

“I don’t know. I don’t remember anything from last night.” Charles replied rubbing his forehead.

“Last I saw, he was getting water from the fridge.” John said not taking his eyes away from the TV.

That’s where I last saw him. Then he must have taken a wrong turn then. I got up and went out to the backyard. I sat in the tent and called Aiden again. After the fifth ring I was going to hang up, but he picked up.

“Nic?” his voice soft and husky.

After a few seconds, I finally responded.

“Explain.” I said it so coldly, but he did need to explain.

“Before you assume things, don’t get mad.” Long pause. Sigh. “Nic. After I grabbed water, I went back to you. You weren’t there.”

“Wait. I waited on the stairs long enough. I was there for ten minutes. It doesn’t take that long. I walked into the kitchen, you weren’t there. There’s only one entrance into the kitchen.  I looked in each bedroom. I may have nightmares for the rest of my life. I searched the whole house. You’re already lying. I don’t want to hear the rest. I also called you and you didn’t even CALL back.”

“Nicolle. Listen to me.”

“No Aiden, Listen to me. BYE! I’ve already been through a lot. I don’t need this.” I ended the called and scrunched my feet to my chest and hugged them. A few tears left my eyes. I don’t know what hurt the most: breaking up with Aiden or knowing he lied.

I wiped away the tears and freshened up.

I inhaled the cold morning air and headed back inside. I sat next to Joyce like nothing had happened. I gave her a smile and she responded with one.

EJ and Olivia were back with McDonalds. Though it wasn’t breakfast they brought back, it was lunch. What took them so long?

 They bought fifty chicken mcnuggets and three large fries.