Special Occasion

I looked up from my phone. What happened?! My mind fled with 'what ifs'.

"Are you okay?" I heard Tristan ask.

"N-nno. No. Uhh.. I gotta go..." I tried to get out. I was actually worried. From what EJ texted it seem urgent and important and serious. 

Last time EJ send that same exact text, our grandpa was in the hospital. Oh no! What if someone's in the hospital?

"I..I.."

"Letty! Let's go!" I heard Jon call from across the overhang. He looked at Tristan. "Tristan you too, let's go! C'mon!!"

I've never seen him so agitated. I got up quickly and half ran to catch up to Jon. Tristan a few feet behind.

"What's wrong!?? Is grandpa again?!" I said about to cry. Jon looked at me with wide eyes.

"Don't cry. Nothing. Just get in." We hopped into Jon's black Chevy Escalade. He drove calm and slow. It has already been fifteen minutes. I still had no idea where we're going.

"Where are we going?!" I asked calmly and serious.

"We're....going.. to....uh...." he didn't even finish the sentence. I stared at him, burning holes on the back of his head. He looked over at Tristan. Tristan smirked and looked at me through the side mirrors. What was that?! What is going on?! After half an hour we were at our destination.

THE BEACH?! That's the big emergency?!

I got out and scoffed.

"I thought someone die—" suddenly, hands were covering my eyes. I hate it when people cover my eyes. "What, What's going on?!" I tried squirming and breaking free, but whoever was covering my eyes had a pretty strong grip.

We walked down a path for who knows how long and then finally under my feet, I felt sand. A few paces to the left and then a few paces forward.

"What the heck guys?!" I screamed. I probably look like an idiot.

"No peeking okay?" What a familiar voice. Oh gosh!

"WHY NOT?! How'd you get here?" I yelled.

"Just don't peek. Don't open your eyes when I let go."

I sighed and gave in. I nodded and shut my eyes.

"Annnnnnnnd. OPEN!"

"SURPRISE!" My chest rumbled as a hoard of people shouted at me. Everyone was here, at the beach? Even my friends? What the heck is going on?!

"Happy birthday Letty/Nicolle!" A few people said. Others were cheering.  

It's my birthday. How the hell did I forget?! It's MY own birthday. My OWN birthday. NO ONE didn't even say 'Happy Birthday' at school. Usually people knew. How is that even possible.

"Uh, thanks?" I made my way through the crowd.

"How does one forget her birthday?" EJ joked.

"HA-HA!" I laughed sarcastically.

"No seriously. We all want to know. I reminded you over and over, you still didn't catch on. "

"Oh, leave her alone!" a girl said, nudging his side. "Happy 16th birthday Letty."

"Thanks Olivia."  I smiled at her and kept on walking.

Olivia is EJ's best friend. They've been friends since sixth grade. She was new to the school and people picked on her. Everyone except EJ. What a sweetheart. I could tell they both liked each other, but none of them have the guts to say anything. Anyways, how could he not like her? She had long, wavy brown hair and she had natural beauty. All the girls hate her because she didn't even have to try to get EJ's attention.

"Happy birthday darling!" My parents both said handing me a big present. I grabbed it and said thanks. "Weeell! Open it!"

"I..I.. okay." I said in defeat. I hate opening presents in front of people.

Everyone was staring at me. All eyes were on me. I was nervous. What could this present be? WHAT IF IT'S SOMETHING EMBARASSING?! I hesitated.. I pulled the purple ribbon off, unwrapped the wrapping paper, and then opened the box. It was so huge! I closed my eyes and finally looked in.

It was a purple electric guitar. On the back there were signatures. One read, 'Happy sixteenth birthday Letty! Have a good one! –Selena Gomez'. I nearly fainted! Another read 'Happy Birthday Nicolle! Shred away! –Hayley Williams.' Demi Lovato signed it too. Along with Ke$ha, V.V. brown, Jessie J, Adele and Taylor Swift. In the corner there was a huge JB. It read 'Happy Birthday Nicollette. Follow your dreams like how I followed mine. Maybe one day you can open up a show for me. –with love, Justin Bieber' I screamed! Everyone was 'OOoing' and 'Ahhing'. The guitar also came with an amp! There was an envelope attached to it. I grabbed it and opened it. I screamed!

"THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!" I shrieked, hugging my parents.

Inside the envelope were four front row tickets including backstage passes to the Justin Bieber concert!

"I don't see how Bieber is hot. I mean, I sing better than him.." Zale exclaimed. I rolled my eyes; he's so cocky. Some people snickered.

"Thank you soo much! I love you guys!"

The concert hasn't even opened up for sale yet. The concert wasn't until October twentieth.

"Glad you're happy" My mom said. "Now let's party!"

There were cheers and a lot of chatter. Everyone dispersed on the stretched out beach. People were playing volleyball, football, tanning, or Frisbee. Some were also in the water. I was playing volleyball, my favorite sport. My team was Joyce, Jayde, Olivia, Maddie [Olivia's Girl best friend] and Becky. The other team was Crystal, Cathline, Zale, and Jon. Tristan, EJ and Dylan were surfing.

"Eat sand!" I yelled and served a perfect overhand serve. ACE. "WOOT!"

The game went on for an hour and of course my team won.

"In your faces!" We all laughed.

"That wasn't fair! You're on the varsity team! YOU and Joyce! AND OLIVIA!" Complained Jon. It's true, sophomores in varsity. When Joyce and I joined volleyball freshman year, we were JV but the coach told us to try for Varsity next year.

"Hey! Who chose the teams?" I laughed. Everyone joined in. It was seven o'clock already and people started leaving.

"Bye cuzzo! Happy birthday!" said Cathline. Cathline is Becky's older sister. She and Jayde are twins. They're Jon's age.  Cathline is way more preppy than Jayde. She dyed her hair blonde to 'fit in' and as for Jayde, she kept it to brown. Cathline and Jayde are both on the cheerleading team. They're complete opposites. Jayde was dark and deep. She was artistic and she's a tad smarter than Cathline. But unlike Cathline, she didn't have a boyfriend. Or hasn't had one in a while.

"Thanks Cathline!" I said walking the other direction to Jon's car. I opened the back seat and got in. Zale was in the front and Tristan on the other side.

"Thanks for today guys." I said before I laid my head down against the window and fell asleep.

I woke up to car doors being closed. I woke up to find that I was being carried by Jon.

"Can you walk?" He asked.

"Yeah. I can make it." I answered with a yawn.

"Okay good, cuz' you're heavy!" I punched him on his arm and walked up to my room. What a day. After my shower, wasn't ready to fall asleep so I grabbed a book and read away. I still can't get over the fact I forgot my birthday. All of my friends, close family friends, and family. Sweet sixteen. Why must I be the oldest in my class? I might as well be twins with Jon. I mean we are eleven and a half months apart.

How did that happen? I don't know. My mom said that it's possible and because she forgot to take one of her pills a week after Jon was born. I stilled asked if it was possible, but my mom's doctor said so himself.

Since I wasn't really focusing on my book and read the same line forty times, I just decided to sleep the night off. If I knew it was my birthday, I would have done something completely different. I let out a breath and closed my eyes. 

_______________________________________________________________________________