Chapter Six: Quiet

Mom didn't come home last night, but as I needed to go to work I couldn't wait any longer. I hoped that maybe she had gotten a job and came home when I was asleep and went to work before I got up. But crushed hopes and broken promises didn't help to fuel that particular flame.

So, I prepared for the day and left my locked apartment. This Thursday could have not have gotten any better. My mom was missing and a majority of bills were due tomorrow, bills I didn't have enough to pay for. Rent, I'd pay rent. Water, yes. We could do without heat and electricity for awhile. I could just charge my electronics at work if need be. But that left no food money. I usually just had peanut butter toast, but we were running out of both of those. I nonchalantly ran a hand through my hair trying to release stress in any way.

Once I reached the library I checked my phone for any messages from Mom. I had one:

Mom: I'm ok :)

Really. Just really. Although not much I relaxed. At least she's alive. Unless her murderer has her phone, but enough of that.

I walked into the library at seven o' five.

"You're late," Angel called from behind the desk.

"I know, just having a crappy morning."

"Mom?"

"Mom," I answer before going to stock books. Angel may have not known much about me, but she did know that my mom often caused me problems. She probably just thought I was rebellious at home or something. I just knew this was going to be a long day.

☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆

Instead of going home, I walked around Hamilton Heights and bits of other parts of New York. Not necessarily looking for Mom, (who hasn't texted me since this morning) but mostly just to relieve stress. And that's how I ran into Destiny, Hope, and Bailey.

Destiny and Hope were twin sisters that used to go to my school before they got kicked out in the eighth grade. Bailey was often with them. The trio were dancers, talented too, they went to a performing arts school in Brooklyn. Sometimes they sent older dancers to other boroughs. Usually they sent these three to the dancing schools in Hamilton Heights.

"Hey, it's Goose," Destiny, the most muscular, teased. Her smile grew as she caught the glimpse of fear that went unchecked before I swallowed it.

"Hi girls, teaching the kindergartners again?" I asked politely.

Bailey smiled," You know it. They're so adorable. I hope they grow up to be talented, just like us."

Hope narrowed her eyes," You know, Goose, life's so tough. We're so overworked...I wish there was an okay way to get out this frustration."

Destiny dragged me into the alley. I push and pulled to get away, but she was too strong. Bailey grabbed my hair and pulled me to the hard, cold ground. Hope sat on my stomach and starting wailing on my face. Bailey held my hands in one hand and her other over my mouth. Destiny had my legs in a vicelike grip. Desperate, I bit Bailey's hand. She screamed and slapped me.

"You bitch!"

Hope got of my stomach and all three of them started kicking me. I groaned through my tears as pain repeatedly flowed through my body. What seemed like hours later they stopped and ran off, leaving me in my own world of agony.

☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆

Eventually, I was able to move. My phone said it five thirty six. I got beat up at four. I moaned and held my pounding head as I exited the alley. I faked being okay the four blocks it took me to get home. Once I walked into my still motherless apartment I broke down crying.