Chapter Thirty-Nine: How Far I'll Go

I awoke with a groan due to the cramp in my legs. Aya had taken up most of the couch in her sleep, so I curled up in a small ball to sleep. Carefully, I draped one of Aya's blankets around me and stood up to stretch. I winced at the pull and looked over to Aya who was fast asleep. I think we passed out around three and it was now... I went for my phone but it wasn't in my pocket. Where?

Confused, I stumbled into Aya's room and calmed when I saw the plain white cover of my iPhone. I picked up and pressed the home button.

"Shit"

30 missed calls, 5 voice messages, and 62 texts.

Well, it was 11:57. I sighed and leafed through my texts.

Lin: Do you need a ride? If so call now. I'm on in an hour.

V: Where are you? It's almost Sebastian's bedtime. You need to come home.

Lin: I'm on break. CALL

Oakland: Where you at, Simba? You've got Lin freaking.

RainbowTree: Text someone Small Child Miranda!

V: Where does Aya live? I'm coming to pick you up.

I stopped there. Jesus, this was not going to be fun. I'd completely forgotten about checking in about staying the night. Mom just didn't care.

Quickly, I pulled my knotted hair up into a ponytail and smoothed out my clothes. I found my shoes beside Aya's bed and used my emergency morning products I've stashed here since seventh grade. Now with my teeth brushed and all that other good stuff, I was ready to jet.

Quietly, I tiptoed over to Aya.

"Aya, I gotta go. I didn't tell Lin and Vanessa I was staying, so I'm in trouble."

Aya mumbled something about cornflakes. I smiled and awkwardly hugged her. While leaving the apartment I pulled out my phone.

Lark: I fell asleep at Aya's. I'll be back in twenty.

I nervously sent it to Lin as Vanessa was probably at work. The text would give him time to cool off, right? Or maybe time to get angry.

The sun was hot today as I travelled up the streets of Hamilton Heights. I was living here not even two weeks ago, yet this block gave me a weird vibe like a melancholic happiness.

"We haven't seen you around here lately," Bailey called from behind me. Really? This too?

I pivoted on my foot to face the three girls, "That's because I don't live here anymore."

"That's really too bad," Destiny said while taking a couple steps forward. A smirk curved across her face and she reminded me of the hyenas from The Lion King. I held my ground.

"We should get all of our frustrations out now then," Hope added. She flung her wavy blond hair behind her. Her lithe frame was poised to pounce.

"I think your frustrations are a mental problem, not a physical one," I commented. Really, it's broad daylight on the streets of New York. I don't even think they could catch me. But I was hella wrong.

Not even two seconds later I was racing down the streets of Hamilton Heights. My hair cascaded through the air as adrenaline pumped through my veins.

Out of the three girls, Hope was the one I was the most paranoid about. Her smaller and agile frame proved meddlesome when it came to chasing. Bailey and Destiny were more of the hold-and-punch type.

I cut a corner to avoid a mother and child and raced onward. I knew this would all end soon. I'd either outrun the three goons behind me or Hope would catch up to me. I had a feeling Destiny and Bailey had already given up by the time I could see the Miranda's apartment complex. Hope was right on my tail.