Chapter Fort-Two: Guns and Ships

Lin’s POV

One minute, everything is okay, but in the next, everything can go totally wrong. I knew that in the moment I heard a deafening bang from the kitchen. My heart hit my chest and in an instant I was on my feet, sending a concerned glance towards Vanessa. She shrugged, equally worried.

“Alondra?”

Nothing.

“Lark?”

Nothing.

Immediately, I paced into the kitchen, “Alondra?” And my heart broken. Here was this beautiful, talented, and wonderful girl having some kind of panic attack on the floor. She was shaking uncontrollably and tears fell from her distant green eyes. She wasn't even looking at me. I felt tears well up and I slid to her side, “Lark! Lark come back. Alondra! You're safe!”

What felt like hours went buy as I called to her. I was so scared to touch her, I was afraid she'd shatter under any form of contact, so I just kept saying her name. I was vaguely aware of Vanessa standing on the edge of the kitchen in shock.

“Alondra, please come back, please!”

And finally, her watery eyes connected to mine. She looked on at me in such panic and helplessness. Her confusion was obvious as she looked around at her surroundings. Vanessa called her name, but Alondra wasn't replying or acknowledging any noise.

“Just breath, Alondra,” I say pretending to be calm despite the overwhelming panic that was consuming me. Hesitantly, I reached for her shoulder. When she didn't react, I broug gr her to my chest, “Don't you hear that, Alondra? My heartbeat? Just listen to it.”

The silence was defeating, I could almost hear the ticking of Vanessa's watch as she joined the comfort huddle of the kitchen floor. My wife placed a caring hand on Lark’s back and her other on my arm, “It'll be okay, Lin.”

At this moment, I wasn't very sure.

Larks POV

Sound faded in and out as my senses regained control of reality. Blips would appear, a breath, and then gone again like it was never actually there at all. I could feel though, a constant thump against the ear I had against Lin’s sweatshirt. I like consistency. There was a pressure on my back, a light, female touch, so it had to Vanessa. I didn't move to see, I just kept my eyes on the color of Lin’s jacket.

It was green. Verde, in Spanish. It had no writing, it was plain. An open canvas. That thought made me want to paint it, but I was too tired to paint. Everything about me was tired, my muscles, my brain, my eyes.

“Just breathe.”

And I was back. The world popped back into existence, and suddenly Lark Evans existed again, how unfortunate. I pulled away from Lin.

“Lark, are you okay,” Vanessa asked with the most worried expression I'd ever seen on her. I nodded numbly and leaned against the cabinets.

“Alondra, what happened?”

I looked at Lin and my heart melted in my chest. I shook my head as the tears started again.

“I-I don't know.”

☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆

Lin’s POV

Hours had passed since Lark’s attack. I couldn't wrap my mind around it. How could this happen to Lark? Everything was looking up for her. She was out of abusive and neglectful houses, she was eating well, she wasn't happy, but that was understandable in grief.